A question of 2 Peaveys: Which one would you choose?

Ovid9

• Members

Hi all. I'm a denizen of HCAF, but wandered over here to ask a question. I'd like to get a bass head and bass and there are a couple inexpensive used Peavey head's for sale.

One is a Peavey Nitrobass and the other a Peavey Mark VI. The prices are about equal. The Mark VI is a bit cheaper, but the Nitrobass has been on my local CL forever, so I'm pretty sure I could talk them down a little.

Of the two, which would you all choose?

Thanks!

• Members

Hi Ovid.

Can't help much, I'm a bass noob. First bass, and my 2x10 are under the Christmas tree. Wife let me test them, and for now, I'm more than happy with a guitar amp.

A friend from electric guitars got a Peavey Renown, kept the cab, and speakers, and sold me the guts for next to nothing. Till spring, when I can use the garage again, this is it's temporary home, the shell from a Peavey VTM60 I gave my bro in law.

P1050530.jpg

No handle, or feet, I put them on the new shell. Here it is next to son's VTM60.

P1050493.jpg

He wanted it to match his cabs,

P1050414.jpg

that he has had since the 80s, and beat to {censored}.

P1050368.jpg

Pic of bass, cuzz I just want to look at it, since I can't see it in person for a few days.

P1050534.jpg

• Members

Dude, sweet VTMs! I just got a VTM120 a couple weeks back. I haven't gotten to play it all that much (something about it being TOO FREAKING LOUD or something....blah blah blah :D ).

What'd you pay for the Renown? That's a pretty slick setup ya have for it. These are both around $200ish.

I like your bass too! Have fun with it!

• Members

I saw your thread when you got it, glad it's up, and running. I stay on electric guitar mostly, but read a lot on the amps forum, hardly ever post there. :cop: Why can't we all just get along. :lol:

Amp is from a friend on the gassers, and gearheads thread on EC. $25 + $18 to ship it. It really has a nice clean for guitar. Don't know why Renowns don't get more love. As good as it is, I have better amps already, and didn't know WTF to do with it, so I'm giving bass a whirl.

Renown is 160 watts, but solid state. I need a diferent place to practice. Have a little corner in our utility room. The ducts from the furnace buzz contantly, unless I turn it down.

Anyways, I'm likeing bass trough guitar amp, with real bass cab, have you tried you VTM? Befor the bass, and cab got here, I was shopping for a DI. They are meant to play bass direct into PA, but I was planning to use it to bypass preamp of the Peavey, efects return, or power amp in, what ever it's labeled. I was trying to decide between the MXR M80, and Tech 21 para driver. Decided I'm happy for now without it, but if I wasn't happy, that's something to consider.

• Members

Yeah, the initially :( when nothing happened turning on my VTM was pretty crushing. Its all good now and I love it.

After I started this thread I realized I've been in talks with a guy to get an old Acoustic 150 guitar amp. I've been reading up on them, and 150 watts of 70s SS power = ~300-350 watts in todays ratings. Apparently the 1st channel on them was used as the design for the Acoustic 150b bass amp, so all my drooling over bass amps might really be moot and I should just get a bass cab and a bass. :lol:

Yeah, I never heard much about the Renown at all. Sounds like it could be a good cheap platform for lots of stuff if it takes pedals decently for guitar too.

I practice in my basement (har har) and yeah, I can get the whole house rattling really easily. The cats don't appreciate it much either. :lol:

• Members

Re 70's wattage, vs. today's wattage. Back in the 70's my older brother had a Kenwood stereo amp. It was 90 watts per channel.

One day, Mom, and Dad go shopping, and I have the house to myself. Break into brother's stash, and roll one, take a beer out of the fridge, and put a record on bro's stereo. Crank it up, Life is good. :thu: Start to hear feedback. :eek: Run to the stereo, and turn it down. Bro would have killed me if I F'ed up his speakers. Turn it back up, and sit back down in my chair, 15 feet away from speakers. Just get comfortable, and I hear feedback again. I run across room again, and it stopped before I got to the stereo. I go back to chair, I hear feedback again, run across room, and it stops before I get to stereo. WTF? Sit down again. I hear it again. This time, I notice, it's not comiing from the stereo, it's comming from the beer bottle. :lol:

• Members

I have 2 Renowns (2-12 combos). I think they are both 400 watts. 2-12 Scorpions. Loud as any amp can be. They can be eq'd to make a decent bass amp. One of mine will go to 2 ohms and drive both of my 4 ohm Bassman 2-15 JBL D-140 cabs. We played an outside gig one time, and a guy 3 miles down the road got woke up by the bass. It took a few beers to get him settled down.

• Members

I have 2 Renowns (2-12 combos). I think they are both 400 watts. 2-12 Scorpions. Loud as any amp can be. They can be eq'd to make a decent bass amp. One of mine will go to 2 ohms and drive both of my 4 ohm Bassman 2-15 JBL D-140 cabs. We played an outside gig one time, and a guy 3 miles down the road got woke up by the bass. It took a few beers to get him settled down.

I opened the bass last night.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2858652-It-s-Christmas-eve.-I-can-open-ONE-present.

The square box is a GK 210mbe, get to open that today. My Renown has 2, and 4 ohm taps. Cab is 8 ohm. Tried it out when it got here, sounded good, but I'm a total noob to bass. Can you suggest EQ setting? It has low, mid, high, and para-something where you adjust where the mid is.

Also, with a name like Cortfan, do you know if my Hamer is a Cort, or a Samick?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I forget I posted here. :lol:

I actually decided to forgo the Peaveys and have an Acoustic Control 150 coming. Had I bought one of the Peaveys it probably would've been the Mark VI, just on features alone. I'm fairly certain with the right cab I can get this Acoustic to be a solid bass amp for me. Now I just need to pick up a bass. :lol:

If I see an old Renown for sale in my area I might snag it just cause that seems to be what I do with old Peavey amps. :facepalm:

I made the mistake of getting myself a Xbox360 and Skyrim for Christmas though so I've been wasting way too much time doing that. Time to start keeping my eye out for inexpensive used basses. Hope you're enjoying your Christmas present!

Archived