Sterling by Music Man

gonzobassman

• Members

I had the Ray 34 for quite a bit. IMO- they are pretty darned nice basses for the money. The only thing that I didn't like was that the set-up and fret work were not super great right out of the box (sharp Fret tangs that weren't fully filed even with the lower side of the fretboard), but nothing that couldn't be worked around with a bit of tweaking. Otherwise, they are really close to their US counterparts sound and feel wise. The hardware is of good quality and the pre-amp and pickups are spot on for that signature "Stingray" sound.

I will further add that they are many many miles ahead of any other "Ray Copy" that I've picked up (OLP ).

• Members

Anyone have any real experience with these basses? Specifically the Ray 35? Is it in any way comperable to an actual MMSR5?

Not IMO - I own an SR5 HH and a SUB 5, and have played several Ray 35s - they're definitely way closer than the OLPs, but still not quite there... If I rated the SR5 at 100%, I would rate the SUB 5 at 95% or better, the Ray 35 at 75%, and the OLP at 25-50%, depending on the specific example, as I've found the OLPs to be somewhat inconsistant... On the bright side, the new imports do seem to be pretty consistant - and worth their cost, especially on the used market...

- georgestrings

• Members

Anyone have any real experience with these basses? Specifically the Ray 35? Is it in any way comperable to an actual MMSR5?

I recently bought the SB-14, which is a copy of the REAL MM Sterling. The neck is not quite as smooth as a real one, but the electronics work incredibly well, and the sound is nearly dead on. I absolutely can't put it down. And i actually have (2) of the US made Sterlings.

• Members

Thanx guys.I thought I had a decent secondary/spare bass,but problems have forced me to return it.The real truth is I would love to get another "real" MMSR5,or Sterling 5,and with my tax return,I could probably do it,but I would be spent for a while. Not a bad delima to be in though! "To get the real thing,or not to get the real thing.That is the question!" Lol

• Members

I'd take a pretty hard look at this is I were you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ERNIE-BALL-MUSICMAN-MUSIC-MAN-SUB5-STINGRAY-5-/360434066611?pt=Guitar&hash=item53eb8b64b3

My SUB 5 plays almost exactly like my SR5 HH, but has the classic 2 band pre that most EBMM fans prefer - it's an outstanding instrument... If you're not into the "decoration" of that one, it would be pretty easy to paint the body... IME, the SUBs are like an "ugly duckling Classic - same pup, pre, and slab body - MIA, too... Eventually, they're going to go way up in price...

I bought my SUB5 as a backup to my SR5 HH, and am really happy with the purchase - it's definitely a gig-worthy instrument in it's own right... I practice and rehearse with the SUB, then when I gig with the SR5, there's no difference in feel - except the SUB is around an lb lighter...

- georgestrings

• Members

I'd take a pretty hard look at this is I were you:

My SUB 5 plays almost exactly like my SR5 HH, but has the classic 2 band pre that most EBMM fans prefer - it's an outstanding instrument... If you're not into the "decoration" of that one, it would be pretty easy to paint the body... IME, the SUBs are like an "ugly duckling Classic - same pup, pre, and slab body - MIA, too... Eventually, they're going to go way up in price...

I bought my SUB5 as a backup to my SR5 HH, and am really happy with the purchase - it's definitely a gig-worthy instrument in it's own right... I practice and rehearse with the SUB, then when I gig with the SR5, there's no difference in feel - except the SUB is around an lb lighter...

- georgestrings

My brother really likes the SUB 4 bass that I got for him.

He needed a new bass, so I took him to the music store, pointed him toward the bass room, told him to come out with something he liked and to be sure to check out a Stingray. He came out with the SUB 4. I asked him if he'd tried a Stingray and he said, "Yeah. I liked this one better."

I liked the idea behind the SUB series of instruments and have since picked up three of the guitars - single PU w/trem, two PU w/trem, and 2 PU hardtail.

• Members

Thanx George. I'll try to see if there is one around to check out!!!

AFAIK, they only mad the SUB line from '30-'06, and they're starting to get more scarce... The SUBs are the cheapest you can get into a US made Music Man - IMO, they're an outstanding value, and only going to gain in value... Basically, the necks are identical to the "real thing", except the finish - and the electronics and bodies are identical to the classics, except for the textured finish that's actually pretty cool, and extremely functional...

- georgestrings

• Members

My brother really likes the SUB 4 bass that I got for him.

He needed a new bass, so I took him to the music store, pointed him toward the bass room, told him to come out with something he liked and to be sure to check out a Stingray. He came out with the SUB 4. I asked him if he'd tried a Stingray and he said, "Yeah. I liked this one better."

I liked the idea behind the SUB series of instruments and have since picked up three of the guitars - single PU w/trem, two PU w/trem, and 2 PU hardtail.

No doubt - I'm a big fan of the SUBs, and have two - a SUB5 and a Sterling SUB:

IMAG0467.jpg

SterlingSUB-2.jpg

• Members

I never got a chance to play a SUB sterling, but I absolutely LOVE the SB-14 Sterling. Even with two American made Sterlings, I find myself playing the SB-14 all of the time. I save my US models for gigs only.

My SUB Sterling is pretty much the same as an EBMM Sterling, minus a few cosmetics, the switch, and with a slab body - same neck, pup, preamp - plays and sounds the same... I actually dig the SUB body paint - looks cool, and is extremely durable... For the $440 I paid for it with a Music Man hardshell case, I feel I got an excellent value for my money... I got it for practice and rehearsals, but am going to start gigging it instead of the '08 American Standard Jazz I usually use for E standard - it's way lighter, has a faster neck, sounds better, and is more versatile tone-wise...

- georgestrings

• Members

I had a SUB4 Stingray a few years back. It was one of the best budget basses I've ever had. It was so damn good that I wouldn't even consider it a budget bass.

Truthfully, I don't consider either of my SUBs to be "budget basses" - they're as well made as any other Music Man bass, just not quite as pretty... My SUB5 plays every bit as well as my SR5 HH, which is a $2k bass - and sounds great, too... I've gigged it a couple of times, and it's gotten compliments on both looks and sound - pretty high praise, considering that it was standing in for this at the time:

IMAG0379.jpg

• Members

Beutiful bass,George! I had a chance to buy one very similar a year age(tax time).Saw it on Saturday,played it,loved it.wanted to "think about it",went to get it Monday afternoon,and it was GONE,GONE,GONE!!! It was used(but there wasn't a mark on it anywhere),and I could have had it for 900 with HSC!!!! Practically broke my leg kicking my own ass,and it will always be "the one that got away"!

• Members

So here we are on Saturday morning and my man called and said he just got a Warwick Thumb bolt-on 5 string.As per my previous post I actually bought a passive Warwick that was just too disimilar from my Ray.A couple years ago I had an active Warwick "Rock Bass" That I actualy liked.Output was real close to the SR with a different tone.This one is quite a bit farther up the food chain than a Rock Bass,but I believe the electronics are the same.Active 2-way eq pre-amp.I think I'll play it at tonights show,and it may become my new secondary.Anyone have any knowledge/experience with Warwick Thumb bolt-ons?

• Members

... Anyone have any knowledge/experience with Warwick Thumb bolt-ons?

Not really. I have a n/t 4-banger with Seymour Duncans. Easily the most aggressive of my 'wicks. (Dolphin and Fortress. Both with Barts). Nice deep tone. EQ works well. The chunky neck fits me. A bit top heavy, but not annoyingly.

• Members

I checked it out,and it was extremely nice,but I went ahead and ordered my new Stingray 5. I really like the white one,and the headstock matches.Pretty classy looking in the pics,and as long as I have played,I have never owned an all white bass! Maple fretboard too,of corse!!! Now comes the I can't wait part.Feel like a freaking kid!!! Lol

• Members

Whatever persuaded Music Man to name their kid brother Sterling ? It's so confusing.

Still, I suppose I'd rather have a Music Man Sterling than a Sterling by Music Man.

I read on the EBMM forum that is was named Sterling by Music Man at the request of Guitar Center...

+1 to the SUB love - I have to SUB 4s right now as my only 'on hand' players -one with tapes one with rounds...just snagged the second for $212 off of the guitar center used site! They are silly value.

• Members

No doubt - I'm a big fan of the SUBs, and have two - a SUB5 and a Sterling SUB:

IMAG0467.jpg

SterlingSUB-2.jpg

hey George - is your SUB5 the Graphite finish? I had thought it was black, but it looks lighter - those are darn rare iirc ....also love your teal Sterling...Really want a white, teal and red SUB eventually....

Archived