SX bass vs. Squire Affinity

neptunefix

• Members

Has anyone here had any experience with both of these basses and could note any differences in quality, etc?

I tried out several basses today, including a cheapo Squire Affinity Jazz bass which sounded pretty decent (lacked sustain though) to me and looked great, but the neck was a little weak feeling. I'm not sure curious how the SX basses compare. There are none in my area to test out..

• Members

Has anyone here had any experience with both of these basses and could note any differences in quality, etc?

I tried out several basses today, including a cheapo Squire Affinity Jazz bass which sounded pretty decent (lacked sustain though) to me and looked great, but the neck was a little weak feeling. I'm not sure curious how the SX basses compare. There are none in my area to test out..

From the older Affinity's I've played vs. my SX...my SX slays. Now, with a proper setup, fret level, electronics, and bridge upgrade...they'll probably be near identical...though I tend to favor the SX afterwards...they're going to be VERY similar basses IMO.

• Members

I don't have a Squier Affinity Bass, but I do have three SX basses. I think you will find that most folks on this board think pretty highly of SX basses. Do they compare with $1000 basses, no they do not. Are they a great buy for the money, yes. I play a Gibson Ripper but usually rehearse using an SX Jazz copy, either one that is fretted or my fretless. Because I don't have a lot of money invested in the SX's I don't worry about them being knocked around a little; I am very protective of my Ripper.

I have played an Affinity bass at the local music store and while I thought it sounded good and felt good, it also seemed to be of lighter construction than either of my SX's. I found one of my SX's at a local pawn shop for less than $100, and I would not hesitate to play it at a job. If you do find one used that you like, either buy it then or forget about it; it won't stay there long.

JR

• 5 years later...
  • Members

I have an Affinty P-Bass, Affinity 5 String J-Bass and a Rondo SX Ursa 3 RN CAR bass. IMO, they are all potientally good basses depending on your money situation and is it gonna be a keeper. First, as with all new instruments, you need to take it to a good, verified person to do the setup on what you choose. I had them setup and have replaced the pots and pickups on all of them. They all play and sound great for me, and I play music across most genres. If you get the SX and do as I have done, you will be in for about $400 tops. The Affinity will run you a little more, just because they cost a little more. Just add the price difference between the Affinity and add it to the cost of what it takes to get the instrument up to par. You will run into "brand" snobs if you get either of these, but blow them off. It's your gear. You are the one who has to be happy with it. When I got my SX, I was scared at first because the action was so low that the E string layed flat on the frets. I couldn't even tune it. After the setup, I love it! Just remember that you have to be happy with it. An instrument is not a piece of jewelry or something to impress people with. It's your creative outlet.

• Members

Cant directly compare SX with Affinity, but can compare directly my SX P/J  2005/06, to my friend's MIM P bass, circa 2004/05.

The MIM Pbass has nicer frets and nut work, and he has his action set pretty darn low with no buzz.

My SX came set up the same way, but had some pretty serious buzz going on with the low E string at the 1st 2 or 3 frets(F,F#,G). But when I put on some flats and tweaked the truss rod a bit that went away. So my SX has higher action, but I like it that way anyhow.

My buds MIM P has required some tweaking a couple of times a year to keep it where it is. The neck (or possibly the neck pocket, is somewhat unstable and tends to shift on him a bit with seasonal changes.

My SX has remained solid and I havn't touched the set up in over 3 yrs. My SX overall feels more solid. Has great wood in the neck and body.

Weight of the 2 is about equal.

As for the rest of the hardware, bridge, tuners, I cant tell any difference. They both perform.

As for pickups, I'd grade them equal as well. My SX P/J sounds and performs about identical to the MIM Pbass(given the diff in strings) with just the P pickup. I like the extra growl i can dial in w the J picup if I desire.

My SX had some scratchy noise in the tone pot when I got it, but it went away in a month or 2 and hasnt  been a problem since.

My SX cost me $129 I think.  

He paid $200 for the P used. 

Overall, I think the SX is a great bargain. If you like very low action, it may call for a fret level and nut work. You might have to replace a pot. jack, or switch, but thats a pretty simple fix.

Given how it stacks up against the MIM P, personally Id go with the SX over an Affinity. 

Archived