A thread of egotism and old bands...

riffdaddy

• Members

Because our gig schedule ended up being light for this month (I could devote a whole thread to why, but I won't), I went out tonight to see my old band play. To give a little background, this band has been horrible for a long time. The singer married my best friend, however, so when a couple of the lesser players in her band mutinied (about two weeks before her wedding, sadly), I was pretty much obligated to help her out. They had found a temporary fix at guitar, so I volunteered to fill in on bass. Before the first rehearsal (ten days after the wedding and four days before the first gig), the singer's father--who also manages the band--fired the guitar player. He hired a guy with seemingly great credentials but average playing skills. He wasn't bad, but he's not at my level. After about two months, I informed them they needed to find a replacement for me. I stayed on until a suitable replacement was found, then I went to play guitar in another band.

I've been to see them a few times since, and they're not horrible anymore. They've trimmed enough dead weight to put together a respectable band, and to accomodate the guitarist's strengths they've shifted more of their focus to country tunes. Tonight I got up onstage and sang a Prince tune with them. Given my personal problems with a certain member of my current band (well-documented in other threads, so I won't go into it here), it just felt great to play with people that don't piss me off.

None of these guys are as good as the guys in my band (except the singer--she's much better than mine), but for the first time in my life I can honestly say I just didn't give a rat's ass how the other guys on stage with me were playing. It just felt nice to be out from under the constrictions of major ego issues. The former drummer from my current band, who was unceremoniously ousted from the group about forty minutes before practice one night, has been playing with a couple of very substandard musicians, but has expressed to me that he feels the same way.

Does anybody else have a similar experience?

Archived