Our ex-singer cancelled our gig!!!

mstreck

• Members

To make a long story short, we had a rather "high-profile" gig this weekend and just found out that it was cancelled.

OUR EX-SINGER CALLED THE VENUE A MONTH AGO AND TOLD THEM THAT THE BAND BROKE UP!!! WTF? :eek:

We called and checked on all of our other gigs. They are all still a go. He didn't cancel anyhting else. Just this one.

The kicker is that we were going to donate the gig money to a local family whose 6-year old was mauled by four dogs last Spring. :mad:

Mike

• Members

F*

Did he know you were donating the money??? Is there no way you can re-schedule the gig (and sue his @ss and donate that too??)...

I'm going to make a donation, hope you can still do something....

• Members

When our drummer's wife called the venue to confirm the gig, she talked to the owner(?) who explained what had happened. They were pretty understanding and we were told that we could definitely play there in the future.

Believe me... thoughts of sweet revenge were flying through everyone's heads when we found out. We were planning some really NASTY stuff. Of course, we'd never follow through on any of it. Or would we? :D

But our lead guitarist suggested that the BEST revenge would be for us to finally play all of the places that this guy wanted us to play while he was in the band. Bigger places in Baltimore, DC, Annapolis and (most importantly) Ocean City and Dewey Beach!

You see, we could never really play those places when we had this guy because he wasn't exactly the best singer in the world. Now that we have a new singer (with a pretty great voice), we're recording a new demo (three tracks done already), revamping the press kit, and setting forth upon our crusade.

This guy lives across the street from our lead guitarist and diagonal from our drummer. It's a tight neighborhood so he's definitley going to hear about it.

It still burns me up.

Mike

• Members

My first question would be, did he know you were going to donate the money or was it something that was decided after he left? If he did then he's just a jerk and needs a good swift kick in the teeth.

This same thing sort of thing happened to some friends of mine over New Year's this past year. They had all been in this band together for over ten years and they were going through a really bitter, ugly breakup. I called it the "divorce."

Basically what was left of the band were going to change their name but were still booking shows under their current name and not telling the club owners that their singer would be gone. The singer, quite honestly was the only reason these guys got booked as often as they did.

When the singer found out about this he promptly called all of the clubs himself to make sure that they knew he wouldn't be performing. The drama got so bad that the singer decided to just end it instead of finishing out their last gig together on New Year's Eve. The entire band decided that was fine that they would have the guitar player do lead that night since he was taking over that role anyway.

Old Singer called the New Year's Eve club to tell them that he wouldn't be performing. They said "Sorry but that's not the band we hired" and promptly cancelled the show. The other guys were livid b/c the gig paid very well but didn't understand that if they had just been honest in the first place it would have never happened.

Edited to say-Not implying anything about your band just a somewhat similar story.

• Members

Originally posted by fastplant

Did he do it out of malice? Or did he really think the band was breaking up?

I suggested that very same thing to my bandmates, but someone pointed out that he didn't cancell any other gigs that he had booked. And he is still in communication with our lead guitarist so he knew were planning on playing it.

It was definitely deliberate, although I'm really hoping that he forgot about us donating the gig pay. I don't think he is THAT much of an asshole.

Besides, we had never talked about breaking up. Our lead guitarist was talking about quitting about a month ago, but we ended up kicking out the singer first.

No, sir-ee... he knew what he was doing.

Mike

• Members

Originally posted by BndGrl

My first question would be, did he know you were going to donate the money or was it something that was decided after he left? If he did then he's just a jerk and needs a good swift kick in the teeth.

Let me put it this way... I have my teeth-kickin' shoes on.

Mike

• Members

I'd threaten him with legal action...

It be worth a few hundred bucks to have an attorney draw up a letter stating the course of action you'll take should he interfere in your business pursuits again.

Straight up. You don't mess with a man's wallet.

• Members

To be honest, b^&er the lost earnings, the venue is cool with you playing there again in the future, it's that he knowingly denied the kid the money you could have raised for him :mad:

I'd make sure everyone knew what he did, or take legal action and get him to cough up some of the money he has effectively prevented them from recieving....

What a {censored}head...!

• Members

Originally posted by Burgess

I'd threaten him with legal action...

It be worth a few hundred bucks to have an attorney draw up a letter stating the course of action you'll take should he interfere in your business pursuits again.

Straight up. You don't mess with a man's wallet.

Well, he DID book the gig for us. And in a sense the band (that was booked) did "break up".

We're sure not the same band that we were two months ago. (If anyhting, I'd say that we're better.)

What will probably happen is this: his neighbors will catch wind of what he did and he'll be hung out to dry. If there's one thing about that neighborhood, it's that they can be very vindictive.

That's good enough for me.

Man... I even got him an audition with another band after we parted ways.

Mike

• Members

Is the singer that left the one doing that Georgia Satellites tune on your band webpage?

If so, good call. The guy has no range, no timing, no feel for the tune (even one as simple as that), and probably no stage presence as well.

If he's still in the band, then please ignore the previous paragraph....

odd.gif

• Members

Originally posted by Crustycabs

Is the singer that left the one doing that Georgia Satellites tune on your band webpage?

If so, good call. The guy has no range, no timing, no feel for the tune (even one as simple as that), and probably no stage presence as well.

If he's still in the band, then please ignore the previous paragraph....

odd.gif

Yep. That's the guy. :rolleyes:

Mike

• Members

Basicly the same thing happened to our band about eight years ago but it was the drummer. This guy was also the band member most involved in booking gigs, even started his own agency(what a crock). He even promoted a couple of events that didn't pan out and led to his firing. He then proceeded to cancel all of our gigs unknowing to us. The first was a high profile gig and the venue was very understanding once we explained what had happened, been playing there ever since. This guy held some type of benefit and took all the proceeds and split town, what an honorable fellow?

Archived