Some of your best gigs (location or circumstances)

srsfallriver

• Members

Sometimes its not so much what or how you're playing but where the gig is and what the crowd is like.

Some of my best:

1. On the roof of a 40+ story building in Boston on Independance Day, overlooking the fireworks.

2. In front of a crowd of 10,000 during a weekend festival in NJ.

3. A private party on a Cape Cod beach, on a late summer, full-mooned night.

4. Overlooking the sailboat-fiiled bay between Newport and Jamestown, RI on a clear, cool afternoon.

5. Playing overseas in a small, poor country where they treat us like we're the biggest thing to grace their small world.

• Members

First Night Dover - outside on NYE, warm weather, playing for over 1000 people waiting for the midnight fireworks.

Max's at Camden Yards - right smack dab in the middle of the stadium crowd as they were leaving the ballgame. At one point, we were completely surrounded by people on all four sides.

A private party where some chick was dancing onstage right in front of me and worked her skirt up to give me a peek. This was a warm summer night by the water. Full moon. Fireworks. And the cops eventually had to come shut us down. We're playing there again this year.

Those are probably our top three.

Mike

• Members

Originally posted by Hollow body

See, those gigs are hard to match. At the risk of sounding paltry, we had a great little gig at the Harbor Loop thing in Gloucester last Thursday: maybe a thousand people watching us from a hillside on a perfect August night.

I didn't mean this thread to match or beat others. I just wanted to share stories to illustrate how, often, the atmosphere of a gig is more important than the performance for the performers. Your gig sounds like a real cool time! BTW is that Gloucester, Ma, England, or elsewhere?

• Members

Originally posted by mstreck

First Night Dover - outside on NYE, warm weather, playing for over 1000 people waiting for the midnight fireworks.

Max's at Camden Yards - right smack dab in the middle of the stadium crowd as they were leaving the ballgame. At one point, we were completely surrounded by people on all four sides.

A private party where some chick was dancing onstage right in front of me and worked her skirt up to give me a peek. This was a warm summer night by the water. Full moon. Fireworks. And the cops eventually had to come shut us down. We're playing there again this year.

Those are probably our top three.

Mike

Nice!

• Members

Originally posted by srsfallriver

I didn't mean this thread to match or beat others. I just wanted to share stories to illustrate how, often, the atmosphere of a gig is more important than the performance for the performers. Your gig sounds like a real cool time! BTW is that Gloucester, Ma, England, or elsewhere?

Taxachusetts.

There is something about a big gig that focuses the mind. We played better that evening than we have in a long time, even though people were just sitting there watching.

• Members

Our best gig was (in my opinion) played in a tiny downtown Minneapolis club in the middle of a blizzard. I don't know if attendance broke the 100 mark, but every was having a great time, the sound was perfect on and off the stage, and we played our best set ever.

Archived