How Do You Find Bands To Join? Online? Newspaper?

• Members

http://www.craigslist.org .

And our very own Harmony Central has musician classifieds as well. I am hoping to greatly expand the resources available here, in fact. :)

I've said before though that the best way to find the right people to play with is to support other local bands. Go out and see any bands that are in a similar vein to what you want to play. When you see bands that are really good or have a really good individual member or two, introduce yourself to them, buy them a drink, become their new best friend. Tell them you play, etc. Do that often enough and you will be the first one to know if a band breaks up, a member quits, or someone wants to start a side project. You can also ask your new pals whether they know any other good musicians who are looking. And of course, if you do end up playing with any of them you will already know how they play and something about what they're like as people, so the transition to being bandmates will be a lot more comfortable than going on auditions with strangers.

Worked great for me, anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

http://www.craigslist.org

And our very own Harmony Central has musician classifieds as well. I am hoping to greatly expand the resources available here, in fact.
:)

I've said before though that the best way to find the right people to play with is to support other local bands. Go out and see any bands that are in a similar vein to what you want to play. When you see bands that are really good or have a really good individual member or two, introduce yourself to them, buy them a drink, become their new best friend. Tell them you play, etc. Do that often enough and you will be the first one to know if a band breaks up, a member quits, or someone wants to start a side project. You can also ask your new pals whether they know any other good musicians who are looking. And of course, if you do end up playing with any of them you will already know how they play and something about what they're like as people, so the transition to being bandmates will be a lot more comfortable than going on auditions with strangers.

Worked great for me, anyway.

Worked for me, too. I really don't think I would have done well at an audition, but I've been with THIS band for almost two years. All because I knew them ahead of time. And I wasn't best friends with them either. But I casually knew the bass player, went to their gigs (some were two hours away), and even asked to watch (not play) at a practice to see how they did things.

A few months later, I got a phone call, played with them at a rehearsal, and the next thing you know I was in.

Mike

Archived