Saturdays jam

uitar9

• Members

Our drummer/leader found a jam advertised on a flyer in a residential area of town. Thought we would try it out

Turned out to be a small bar, maybe 75 seats, in a residential community association building.

Nothing fancy, a drum set, a basic PA, couple of Trayner 40's and a bass amp of some sort. Nothing micd'd

What a great place. The two guys running the jam were great, not really a house band justa loose group who got up as the move struck

Played 4 or 5 songs to half a house and started to tear our stuff down. They asked us to stay and play at 6:00. In between another tele weilder asked me up with him and we ripped a few blues tunes

By 6:00 the locals had filled the place. We played another 5 songs, even got my son up with us to sing our version of 18. Got the big applause

The jam guys even asked us back. They have a jam a month

What a blast. Energy was great, guys were super and the place had a great vibe.

We even got applause as we left with our gear.

One could get used to that

• Members

Hmmmmmmmmmm I agree!

It would be nice to just have a stripped down kit. For my main band I bring a Guitar head/cabinet, effects board, at least two guitars, 3 synth, two keyboard stands, a submixer and two keyboard amps.

It would be nice to have a small combo and no PA... all stripped down... playing to anyone who would listen to anything. Just jam every once in a while.

;)

• Members

and to top it off, our drummer got a call from someone in the audiance who has offered us a gig at the same community centre in mid november.

You gotta appreciate the diversity. Us "mature " guys doing red house, three young guys doing their version of killing in the name and the bar girl getting up occasionally doing a great Patsy Cline.

Life is good.

flip 333, there was a pa in place, two yorkville 550's for FOH and a 550 for the stage, it was plenty loud

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Our second time back to this place (they only have an open jam 1 a month)

Got there, and not the same house band. Ooops, no house band, no bass amp, two small solid state guitar amps and a banjo.

Told us later the jam band just didn't show, so the locals who came had gone home and brought their own gear.

Two of us went back to our rehearsal space and dragged out our stuff.

By the time we got back the official jam was over but the place was packed. They were the locals who heard us last time and wanted to hear us again.

What was supposed to be us doing a few tunes at a local jam turned into a three set night. Free beer and food for our troubles.

There was a wedding going on upstairs and we were getting wedding guests down to hear us. They hated what was happening up there.

This was another great night. We have our first real gig coming up in 3 weeks and had an opportunity to flush out some new songs.

And we discovered that my son ( who sings with us when he is not working or growling his way through his {censored}) together with our second guitarist have a great stage presence. They had the crowd worked up big time

and on top of it all, the Flames won, 1 to zip, that's three in a row

(Is it wrong to keep an eye on the game when you are playing?)

• Members

Only if you're watching the game because you're bored. I like having a screen I can see from the stage so I can check scores during baseball and hockey season between songs/sets.

That jam sounds great! All the jams around where I'm at turn into underage blues guitar hero-wannabe wank fests. I gave up on the jams when I realised it was going to be all I IV Vs of the Texas persuasion.

Archived