summer of 69'

joldinash

• Members

Hi, i'm new to this forum. I play keyboards in a four piece band playing cover versions. I've played in my band for 12 years and for those 12 years we have covered Bryan Adams' - summer of 69. The problem is i have never been able to find the right sound to use for the keyboard parts. Can anyone help?

• Members

I'm no keyboard player but I've been drafted to play some keys in our band. On Summer of 69 I play back-up rhythm guitar and switch to the keys when they come in. I use the "polysynth" setting on my cheap Cascio keyboard and it sounds pretty good.

• Members

I played that song in a former band.

I used a simple organ patch (pretty bright and fast leslie) for the chords and a custom tone based on a non dominant bell sound for the arpeggios (which are normally played by a clean Fender type guitar with a good amount of chorus if I'm not mistaken)

But since we only had one guitar, I played that part on the keys as well.

However I really wonder : How coul you possibly play a song for 12 years without finding a matching tone for all those years ????

• Members

I suppose i'd just gotten into the mentality that if it aint broke.........

I'm sure most of us who play covers get to the stage that when you play a song for that long, you come to believe that the way you play it is exactly how it goes having never actually properly listened to it for years. However you'll eventually hear the song one day and think....HOLY {censored}... we've been playing that wrong for years!

The keyboard i use for gigging at the moment is a Yamaha PSR630 (no laughing please) which is basically a home keyboard but i've gigged with it for 5 years now and have to say it's done the business for me.

So any futher advice would be appreciated

Thanks to the members for their advice so far

• Members

I'm right there with you on the cover song deal. There are times now when I hear the original version of a song and realize how far off we are. The other side of the coin is that we still do the song(s) justice and get comments about how we had played them "note for note." Another alcohol related phenomenon!

Archived