Sat in a killer jam last night

Mr. Botch

• Members

I haven't sat in on a jam session in years. We had a new jazz/blues club open up in Ogden awhile back, and one of our local well-known musicians, Danny Weldon, started hosting an open jam at 4 pm on Sundays. Danny is a great blues/roots artist, and often plays a electrified resonator guitar, both fretted and with slide (don't know what kind of finger action it has). He also has a wooden platform that he sets his feet on, custom-built for him by Shure, that he uses to keep the rhythm going. He's one-half of the duo "The Legendary Porch Pounders" that will be playing at that big battle of the bands in Texas this summer.

I had Reserves this weekend so I'd gotten up at 0500 Sunday and worked a full day (plus 2.5 hours commute to/from Tooele Utah) but decided to go to the jam anyway. I'd forgotten how sweet it was to make one trip hauling gear, had my Electro and an X stand in one hand and a small amp in the other. Danny had a female bass player singing with him, and a drummer; there were two guitars set up off to the side so I knew I wasn't the only guy to show up. Danny had me set up off to the side right away and start playing. Another keyboardist showed up with a Yamaha P-120 and he set up on the other side; he played mostly piano parts while I played mostly organ parts, and damn that was fun! Danny made sure the stage only had one guitar player at any one time, but kept both of us going on keys for three entire sets. Joel, the piano player, was a great player and he and I had fun trading off parts, I've never jammed with a second keyboardist before.

We did a lot of blues tunes, then the bass player (who had a classic blues/Janis Joplin voice) did "Bobby McGee", I about teared up. Then as the place filled up Danny called "Sympathy for the Devil" (Stones); I tried a wah Clav part and Joel switched to an organ, it sounded great. That morphed into "Hard to Handle", and when I looked up the dance floor was packed! Sunday evening in Utah, whoda thunk?

Haven't had that much fun playing music in quite awhile, it definitely recharged my batteries! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Botch

I haven't sat in on a jam session in years. We had a new jazz/blues club open up in Ogden awhile back, and one of our local well-known musicians, Danny Weldon, started hosting an open jam at 4 pm on Sundays. Danny is a great blues/roots artist, and often plays a electrified resonator guitar, both fretted and with slide (don't know what kind of finger action it has). He also has a wooden platform that he sets his feet on, custom-built for him by Shure, that he uses to keep the rhythm going. He's one-half of the duo "The Legendary Porch Pounders" that will be playing at that big battle of the bands in Texas this summer.

I had Reserves this weekend so I'd gotten up at 0500 Sunday and worked a full day (plus 2.5 hours commute to/from Tooele Utah) but decided to go to the jam anyway. I'd forgotten how sweet it was to make one trip hauling gear, had my Electro and an X stand in one hand and a small amp in the other. Danny had a female bass player singing with him, and a drummer; there were two guitars set up off to the side so I knew I wasn't the only guy to show up. Danny had me set up off to the side right away and start playing. Another keyboardist showed up with a Yamaha P-120 and he set up on the other side; he played mostly piano parts while I played mostly organ parts, and damn that was fun! Danny made sure the stage only had one guitar player at any one time, but kept both of us going on keys for three entire sets. Joel, the piano player, was a great player and he and I had fun trading off parts, I've never jammed with a second keyboardist before.

We did a lot of blues tunes, then the bass player (who had a classic blues/Janis Joplin voice) did "Bobby McGee", I about teared up. Then as the place filled up Danny called "Sympathy for the Devil" (Stones); I tried a wah Clav part and Joel switched to an organ, it sounded great. That morphed into "Hard to Handle", and when I looked up the dance floor was packed! Sunday evening in Utah, whoda thunk?

Haven't had that much fun playing music in quite awhile, it definitely recharged my batteries!
:thu:

sounds brilliant man!

i wish i could find some jams like that around here

Archived