How would you handle this? gig sceduling question

• Members

I'm new to booking gigs and I need some advice from some of you pros. Someone else always did this in the other bands I've been in.

To try to keep it short here's what happened.

My band only plays 2 or 3 gigs per month, by choice, because that's all we can do and still have a life.

I booked a gig for a Friday night with a new place about a month ago. They just remodeled and were doing bands inside on Fridays and outside on Sundays. Don't ask me why.

They decided to switch to Sats. & Suns. and the owner calls me yesterday and leaves me a message to see if we can switch to Sat.

We'd rather play Sats. so I call our soundman to check his availability. He plays in a Floyd tribute band and is playing Sat. so no go. And he ain't real happy about losing the gig on Fri. Not good.

So I call our backup and before he can get back to me I check the bar's website and another band is listed for that night.

It seems as though we got bumped. I know that this stuff happens but I don't know how to deal with it. I don't want to burn any bridges. I'm sure the owner will offer me some other dates but I already put the 17th out there. I also did some promotion and I had about 100 people coming myself.

So I have to call the owner now and work something out. Any advice on what tack to take? Besides quitting? :)

• Members

You should be calling the bar owner/mgr. and explain it to him. Like right now! Maybe they made a typo?

Tell em you have a hundred people expecting to see you there.(That is if you do.)

I don't know you, but some people exaggerate. Whatever you tell him, make sure you deliver it.

They decided to switch to Sats. & Suns. and the owner calls me yesterday and leaves me a message to see if we can switch to Sat.

If he left you a message and you never called back he may have felt you were blowing him off.

• Members

Originally posted by fingerpicker

You should be calling the bar owner/mgr. and explain it to him. Like right now! Maybe they made a typo?

Tell em you have a hundred people expecting to see you there.(That is if you do.)

I don't know you, but some people exaggerate. Whatever you tell him, make sure you deliver it.

If he left you a message and you never called back he may have felt you were blowing him off.

Yeah I tried calling him early and woke him up.

I had a something to do last night and by the time I got his message and made my phone calls it was after 10. He said not to call after 10.

If he had emailed me I would have jumped on it sooner. I don't leave my cell on while I'm at work.

I did put the word out and we do have somewhat of a following. This is (was) our first gig with a new bass player and people (were) are coming. It's local - where I grew up. Even if not everybody shows up who told me they would we'd still have about 100 between all of us. Including other bands. And the place isn't that big. So that's a lot.

• Members

Yeah dude, that's crap. However, it's not that uncommon. There's a fine line between pissing off the booker, and standing up for your band. There's not a damn thing wrong with making it known your band isn't to be pushed around. However, you'll need the clout for the booker to respect that.

With that being said, approach it like you're the bands manager, not a musician.

"What happened here?" We've been promoting the show for heavily for weeks, and even worked hard to get the date change communicated." Did I miss a call from you where you told us of us being bumped"? (Forces him to say "no"). "What can we work out to keep us on that date?" (possibly nothing). "What can we do different to be sure this doesn't happen again?"

It may already be a lost cause. If so, move on with it being VERY CLEAR it was unprofessional, you don't work that way, and will not tolerate if it happens again. Definitely throw in the body count (100 peeps). Also look for another venue. 1, because you still want to play for those people. and 2, it will compete against his night offering a small sense of "see what you missed" kind of thing.

Just realize where you are. If you're a 100 person drawing local band, you may not be in the position to talk {censored} with the club. But if it's a really crappy club, maybe you do.

Ok, I'm rambling now. . .

• Members

i have posted similar situations like this on this forum. if you're bumped, grit your teeth, go on, hope for another date. don't burn any bridges whatsoever. i have had to bite my lip several times from being {censored}ed by some club owner. most of them dont give a rat's ass about the band. they wont people in the club buying booze. they dont care who plays as long as its decent. if you dont come back there are 10 bands waiting to get in. we got bumped one time because a bar owner saw our name on a flyer for another club and though it was in the same town. he felt we were cheating on him. he bumped us, hired another band, and didnt have the {censored}ing balls to call and tell us. the club we were playing at was actually 35 miles away in another county. we didnt even put the flyers out. that was last august, we havent played there since. i would love to kick him in the nuts. but, its a small world. he might need us again. if so, i guess we will play it. always remember "never trust nobody!"

• Members

Being the guy who books the band you are in a tough spot. You have to keep the members of your band happy and maintain good relations with the club owners and booking agents. Sounds like a business decision at the club. If you want to play there you have to accept their schedule and decisions to change. It may be a disappointment and loss of gig but, if there are opportunities for the future then be flexible and understanding. Been there....

If you have plenty of other places to play and don't care about returning.................RIP EM' A NEW ONE

:mad:

Been here too!

;)

Archived