Is It Live, Or Is It Memorex?

LateGreats

• Members

The most bizarre thing is happening in my band. We just got a new drummer and we were trying out a bassist last night. We recorded the tryout to check out later. The drums sounded kind of crappy when we were all playing and I was kind of bummed that the new drummer wasn't catching on as quickly as I had hoped. Then we went back and listened and the drums sounded great, and he played great. Usually, it works the other way around. Really, really strange.

• Members

You're saying when you recorded him playing, and while he was playing, you thought it sounded bad, but when you listened to the tape of the same playing you heard live, it sounded great?

Sounds like you're being extra critical of the drummer during live, maybe cause he's new.

Or, maybe the recording mic was in a good spot to hear him, and when you're playing with him, your ears are not. Maybe he's hitting too hard. If the recording mic is farther away, it might be why it sounds better, but since you're right next to him...

• Members

Originally posted by Janx

Sounds like you're being extra critical of the drummer during live, maybe cause he's new.

I'm thinking this is the reason too. I also suspect that the sound where we practice is a bit funky. It always seems like he's playing too softly, but it sounds perfectly fine on the recording. I'm not compaining, I just found it kind of weird.

Now we just need the bassist.

Archived