About Prince...recommend me some

• Members

My mom used to rock the Prince all the time. I would always air guitar to when doves cry and especially "lets go crazy" ... but this was when I was 5 and hadn't played a whole lot yet. But now I am the singer/songwriter/guitar dude for a band and I want to do some more thorough research. Which album do you guys suggest to kind of dissect that would keep me relatively interested at the same time???

thanks

-light

• Members

After that, his output started to falter, IMHO. Any of those albums are practically filler-free from start to finish. I'm sure that many people would say that 'Sign' is THE album to listen to for production and songwriting, with gender-switching songs like "If I Was Your Girlfriend" (odd and cool lyrics) and weird songs like "The Ballad of Dorothy Parker".

These are the top five from my musician point-of-view (in no particular order):

Parade

Purple Rain

Sign of the Times

Around the World in a Day

It's sort of hard to say because you say that you want something that will keep you interested, but haven't said much about it other than the air guitar comment. Prince's guitar stuff is more about the song than the solo. If you want to hear him more on the solo side of things, "Controversy" and "Prince" have songs like "Bambi" and "Sexuality" that feature him pretty prominently. Try "Dirty Mind" too.

Lemme know what you want so I can give you what you need. :)

• Members

Nah, man! "Lovesexy" was the end of the romance!

Also, read "Possessed" by A. Hahn and "D.M.S.R." by Per Nilssen. Two pretty cool biographies.

EDIT: I meant to add in my original post, I feel that his work before and during the "Prince and the Revolution" phase was some of his strongest work. His "Prince and the NPG" stuff had their moments, but never like the 'Revolution' days. You might wanna check out the Wendy and Lisa/Girlbros. solo albums as well if the Prince stuff infects you.

• Members

Originally posted by light_without_heat

I'm pretty open to whatever so i'll probably go with any of your suggestions. I basically want something funky.

If you want funk, check out "Controversy" and "Dirty Mind" for sure. During the 'Purple' era, Prince's funkiest stuff like "17 Days" and "Erotic City" was found more often on his b-sides, also available on CD.

• Members

Originally posted by ChordGirl

'The Hits/The B-Sides.' There's a lifetime of work to keep you interested! It's one of my favorite compilations of all time. I think it only goes up through 'My Name is Prince.'
;)

i think it's a great introduction, especially if you can get it cheap it's a great value for money - although the 'b-sides' disc tends to kinda drag after a while.

if i remember correctly, 'pink cashmere' was 'the hits/b-sides' album's exclusive track. it's one of my personal favorites.

• Members

Originally posted by albert visick

i think it's a great introduction, especially if you can get it cheap it's a great value for money - although the 'b-sides' disc tends to kinda drag after a while.

if i remember correctly, 'pink cashmere' was 'the hits/b-sides' album's exclusive track. it's one of my personal favorites.

Yeah, it does drag a bit. I don't listen to the B-sides that often. I really like 'erotic city,' too.

As for 'pink cashmere', I didn't realize it, but it was previously unreleased--Great song.

• Members

I'm a huge Prince fan.... I think I have every album, and like elements of each....

But, my favorite is a hard to find gem of a rock album called "Chaos and Disorder"...

It's got heaps of guitar on it, and Prince is an expert axe man.

It was a commercial flop, because it wasn't an R&B disc, I think.....

Anyway, track it down. It's really great.

• Members

Originally posted by fearofnightmare

the dude is a genius.

I've never understood this. I've listened to alot of Prince and never thought any of it was good. Yet everyone claims he's a genius. Because he can play more than one instrument? So can Kid Rock and no one calls him a genius.

• Members

For bar work... a little off the topic of this thread... "Kiss" works the best these days, although that wasn't always the case. I also do "Purple Rain" to good response... sometimes to people with Bics raised. I did "1999" and "Let's Go Crazy" back in the 1980s and they were always floor packers. The guy may not be a genius, but he sure knows how to write dance music.

• Members

You are so right! 'Black' has some cool funk. I prefer the bootleg editions 'cause they sound so much more rough and sometimes slightly sped up. On the topic of unreleased songs (some which ended up on actual albums), the song "Moviestar" is brilliant when sped up slightly, but okay when played at actual speed.

It might be hard to understand why the man is considered a genius by many, but the way I see it, it isn't about him being a multi-instrumentalist, but about his songwriting, presence, production, and vision.

• Members

Originally posted by lefthandpath

You are so right! 'Black' has some cool funk. I prefer the bootleg editions 'cause they sound so much more rough and sometimes slightly sped up. On the topic of unreleased songs (some which ended up on actual albums), the song "Moviestar" is brilliant when sped up slightly, but okay when played at actual speed.

It might be hard to understand why the man is considered a genius by many, but the way I see it, it isn't about him being a multi-instrumentalist, but about his songwriting, presence, production, and vision.

It may also be that his style of music isn't my cup of tea. But usually I can appreciate great work in any genre. His just always seemed mediocre to me.

• Members

Originally posted by fastplant

I've listened to alot of Prince and never thought any of it was good.

You never thought it was good.

That doesn't mean it isn't good.

It just means that you don't like it.

There are some people who don't like the Beatles either.....

Does that mean they weren't any good? :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by tamoore

You never thought it was good.

That doesn't mean it isn't good.

It just means that you don't like it.

There are some people who don't like the Beatles either.....

Does that mean they weren't any good?
:confused:

Ok, I'll revise. I've listen to Prince but haven't found any that showed him to be any more talented than many other artists.

Archived