gig anticipation

B Money

• Members

so here I am at work, been busting my ass all week long getting a project completed by Saturday. I'm sitting in front of my PC, brain is tired, eyes are tired, legs are fatigued from running around the building half the day, and I still have a long way to go:

race out of work at 4 to get home, grab a quick bite and catch up with the wife, then out the door to pack the gear, then off to the gig to setup for 2 hours, THEN try to muster the energy to rock out and entertain for 3 long sets. Oh, then it gets better: 2am, done rockin', bar tender plays hip-hop on the jukebox at 120db while we try to load out, now the fun begins! Dead tired, packing up all the gear in the freezing rain, drive home bleary eyed dodging drunks along the way.

Yet, for all that, I'm looking forward to the gig! :confused:

It's a new bar we played a few weeks ago for a benefit and they asked us to come back, so I want to make a good impression :thu:

I've played a lot of gigs in the last 5 years, but ALMOST all of them I have looked forward to with giddy anticipation. There is just something about playing in front of an appreciative audience that is addictive. I'm 37 and I wonder when the appeal will wear off? LOL

• Members

Originally posted by Meatball Fulton

I dunno when the appeal will wear off but hopefully you'll figure out how to set up in less than 2 hours real soon
:thu:

yeah, it's weird because sometimes we setup really fast, and then other times it's a giant cluster-F that seems to take forever. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for it either, other than we have a lot of gear!

• Members

I'll tell ya....

I've actually tried to stop playing gigs. I've had trouble with drummers as I play one bar with a small stage and they bitch about playing a very small kit. (snare and High hat) But I treat them very well, always splitting the money down the middle, always cheerfull and respectfull.

But aI really don't know what these guys want sometimes.

And as far as gigs go I've tried to quit but have found out that I have to keep doing it for my own peace of mind. That's the bottom line. If it's too much a hassle then you probably should just quit...

And it takes me 20 min. to set up.....

• Members

post gig synopsis:

"SOMETIMES YOU WIN, SOMETIMES YOU LOSE, BUT AT LEAST YOUR IN THE GAME"

Not a great night. The "huge" turnout that the manager promised (sound familiar?) never materialized. We played most of the gig to our band wives and about 15-20 patrons. We won't be returning to this bar, as we heard from at least 3 different people 'oh this place never gets a crowd...you guys should play (bar X).'

Ironically our performance was pretty solid, we rolled out 5 new songs in the set. Still had a lot of fun with guest vocalists and we even faked our way through "Livin' After Midnight" as a request to a drunk guy that set his bar stool LITERALLY 5 feet in front of the band, crossed his arms, scowled, and said "ok, impress me."

The best part of the night was blowing a breaker during "Baby Got Back" :rolleyes:

and I had a ball going crazy with our new fog machine and scanners.

The mens restroom was occupied, so I just went into the ladies room. Imagine my suprise seeing a condom vending machine on the wall that sold "PeeWee" brand condoms! I {censored} you not, the tag line was "for the man that needs less protection"!

• Members

Ah geez! Well at least you played well and you got a few great stories out of it!

Originally posted by B Money

The mens restroom was occupied, so I just went into the ladies room. Imagine my suprise seeing a condom vending machine on the wall that sold "PeeWee" brand condoms! I {censored} you not, the tag line was "for the man that needs less protection"!

:D :D Oh man.... priceless. I guess they sell those in the ladies' room so if a woman meets a guy in the bar that she wants to get rid of, she can offer him one of those... :D Ouch.

• Members

Originally posted by B Money

Yet, for all that, I'm looking forward to the gig!
:confused:
It's a new bar we played a few weeks ago for a benefit and they asked us to come back, so I want to make a good impression
:thu:

I've played a lot of gigs in the last 5 years, but ALMOST all of them I have looked forward to with giddy anticipation. There is just something about playing in front of an appreciative audience that is addictive. I'm 37 and I wonder when the appeal will wear off? LOL

You sound just like me and I am 52. Pray you never lose that feeling.

Archived