Is there any 40 somethings into metal out there?

Flannery

• Members

I'm wondering because I'm turning 40 in a couple of months and I seem to have no luck finding musicians my age who like the same music as I do. I have a good thing going with my cover band (great players, no ego's, and everyone is dependable and stable...it gets no better!) but any time I try out a new riff or song I'm writing on them I always get a weird look and a "that's kinda heavy...". So it's apparent to me that I won't be able to poach any of these guys for an original project. I've put out feelers to other people my age, but it's been pretty much the same reaction , so I'm kind of at a dead end. I'm not talking extreme metal with cookie monster vocals either. More like stuff in the vein of Kyuss or Fu Manchu, with maybe some old school Slayer and Anthrax thrown in. I would think that there would be some other people out there my age with a fondness for this style of stuff, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm some sort of a dinosaur resisting evolution. It doesn't feel like it, but I'm starting to wonder. So how bout it? Is there any other 40 somethings playing this style of music? And if you are...how'd you find your bandmates....cause I'm sure not having any luck doing what I'm doing.

• Members

I should have mentioned in my first post that I've tried working with people quite younger than me (early, mid, late 20's), but they always seem to have complications in their lives that comes with their age. Whether it's experimenting with drugs, just not being able to make it to a rehearsal close to on time/at all, or having a car that actually works more than once in a while, there always seems to be some sort of "catch" that comes along with them.

I'm at the point in my life where things are pretty stable, and I just want to have a good time writing some originals and performing them every once in a while. Working with folks who haven't quite got it together yet doesn't really interest me. I know that limits my choices, but I've reached the conclusion that a hobby (which is what it is at this point) shouldn't have me pulling my hair out.

• Members

Originally posted by Flannery

I should have mentioned in my first post that I've tried working with people quite younger than me (early, mid, late 20's), but they always seem to have complications in their lives that comes with their age. Whether it's experimenting with drugs, just not being able to make it to a rehearsal close to on time/at all, or having a car that actually works more than once in a while, there always seems to be some sort of "catch" that comes along with them.

I'm at the point in my life where things are pretty stable, and I just want to have a good time writing some originals and performing them every once in a while. Working with folks who haven't quite got it together yet doesn't really interest me. I know that limits my choices, but I've reached the conclusion that a hobby (which is what it is at this point) shouldn't have me pulling my hair out.

I'd say it's either playing blues/classic rock :bor:, or finding those younger players that are dependable. They are out there. :thu:

• Members

I'm well into my 40's and still into metal. I grew up on what you'd call classic old school metal - Priest, Maiden, Sabbath etc. Then I got into the progressive thing and have been a big fan of Kansas and Rush. More recently I'm into stuff like Dream Theater and Symphony X.

I was in a number of bands all through my 30's and they kind of morphed into future bands with most of the previous members. I also played in a Rush Tribute for the last 5 years with guys close to my age but I've still got 5-7 years on them.

I have been the oldest in the band for the last 15 years of my life. I had to recently audition again and the only bands/people I came across that are into the same music as me are in their 20's. I have auditioned for bands closer to my age thinking the more mature musicians will have less "drama" in their lives. However the guys I met are into Classic Rock type stuff. When you're playing Dream Theater and Rush and go to playing Rolling Stones it's just not what I'm into playing.

So I'm grandpa as usual playing with a bunch of 20 somethings. I made a point up front about if age is an issue than don't bother and to my pleasant surprise that didn't seem to stop many offers.

So yes, we're out there just few and far between apparently.

• Members

I'm almost 50 and yes, I still love metal. I do my best to help promote the local metal bands and don't feel out of place when the oldest person ....besides me of course... at some of these concerts were born after I graduated from high school.

Age is what you make of it. I'll take the experience and wisdom of a grey hair before I'd take the exuberance and vitality of a young un any day.

• Members

I've been listening to metal since it's inception, arguably being the Vanilla Fudge cover of the song "You keep me hanging On". Lets not forget Iron Butterfly and Frigid Pink. I have a huge collection of hard rock and metal records and tapes....but I was never really interested in playing metal music. Hard rock was my limits. Always played blues even before heavy metal became popular, just like all the 'founders' of the heavy metal movement.

• Members

I'm 42 and have always listened to metal and always will. I was in a giging Cover band and left because I couldn't play top forty and pop crap that they were doing. I'm not knocking them for playing what they like to play it just wasn't for me. I'm currently playing in a new band that does Hard Rock and Metal.

• Members

Originally posted by Point Blank

I'm 42 and have always listened to metal and always will. I was in a gigging Cover band and left because I couldn't play top forty and pop crap that they were doing. I'm not knocking them for playing what they like to play it just wasn't for me. I'm currently playing in a new band that does Hard Rock and Metal.

Ditto first sentence, 43 though. I play around with some mates doing covers for parties, clubs etc and I admit some of the songs leave me a bit cold. However I get to

• Members

I'm 35.. the oldest in my band. Are influences are similar with a more punknroll spin. All the guys in my band are around 25 and grew up listening to 90s punk & metal where I grew up listening to 80s punk & metal. I'm the lead guitar player, so it works out well. It helps that they mostly have their {censored} together personally.

I think there are plenty of people in their 40s who would consider playing heavy music, but with any original band, the lineup is key.

• Members

I'm 52 and playing harder, faster and louder than ever. I've been playing for over 30 yrs non-stop and have been in all kinds of bands. Funny I read in a previous post about metalheads mellowing and geeting into blues rock, I went the other way. I was into Clapton and SRV, then about 10 years ago I got real heavy into Malmsteen (still am), then Dream Theater and so on. I still practice several hours every night, gig and write. Age is no barrier for me. I enjoy walking into a jam situation with "younger" guys. They look at me and I can see on their faces they think I'm over the hill. By the end of the jam they want me in their band LoL.

• Members

I love the metal. (High on Fire, Sunn 0))), Mastodon, et al.)

But it doesn't love me.

I don't have the co-ordination to pull-off (ha!) any Yngwie/Bach/Page solos.

But it's more acceptable to me than sitting in front of the teevee or playing video games.

Just keep looking....

Archived