My band was (almost) in BORAT-long post

• Members

Last Feb. or so I was in a house band 4 nights a week at a big honkeytonk club in Jackson, MS. The bandleader was also my supervisor for my day job at a courier service (the rest of the band worked there too). One Mon. morning he asked us to play at (not compete in) a talent show being held that night at the club, that he had just been asked to emcee. The show was going to be filmed for a documentary and he thought it could mean exposure for the band.

Some of the band members didn't want to do it (bear in mind that we were always on the verge of exhaustion, working 60+ hours a week). Bandleader was PO'd. I thought it was BS anyway because it was stipulated, no covers permitted- only original music. I had been in the backing band at several talent shows and never heard of that.

So we didn't play and later I asked the bandleader about it. He said it was in fact a bunch of BS- the film-makers just wanted the contestants and everyone involved to look stupid and make asses of themselves.

My band is no longer at the club but I still work for the courier service PT. The bandleader called today, said that he was going to get some people together to see the movie that he may be in. It turns out he was referring to the bogus talent show, which turned out to be filming for the movie BORAT.

So I am going to see the movie tonight, which may immortalize Pop's Around the Corner on Gallatin St. in Jackson, MS- and my friend "Sparky" Trollinger. He has already been on Jerry Springer, ( probably not the first drummer to be on there LOL)). How much more famous could you be? :D

I doubt, however, that the talent show footage was included in the movie. (the Borat character did also appear on a Jackson TV morning talk show and made fools out of everybody when he jumped up in the middle of filming and said he had to go "urine"-the host went into a downward spiral and wound up losing her job). But I will know for sure by 10:00 tonight, CST. thought it was an interesting story..:)

• Members

no talent show footage on movie- the bandleader said it was because he knew something was up- said Cohen (Borat actor)kissed him on both cheeks and tried to get the bandleader/emcee to kiss him back but he wouldn't do it.

BTW the bandleader was just disappointed in what he saw as lack of motivation- no tantrums. But he tickled me when he complained to me that evidently the band did not care about being famous- little did I suspect how much exposure it could have been. But even if we had done it, we don't fit the stereotype of a redneck band ( despite the club's strong resemblence to "Bob's Country Bunker" in the Blues Boys movie) and probably would not have influenced Cohen to put us in the movie.

I wonder if Cohen tried a similar rouse in in clubs around Birmingham, or South Carolina, or other places they filmed. But OK, thats it and we can just let this thread slide down and disappear, evidently its not THAT fascinating but thanks for reading.:)

Archived