Words of wisdom (kinda offtopic, but not entirely)

Delle_Rose

• Members

Found this while stalking people on MySpace. Kinda off topic, but since I post here and MySpace is often discussed here, I'm interested to see what people think. I'm not crediting the source because the souce probably doesn't want to be credited. I'm also editing it a bit (chopping out details irrelevant to the part I find interesting)...

I'm familiar with the ideas of academia peeps like McLuhan who trace the way evolving technologies shape people's perceptions of reality. If myspace is an extension of my global village, so be it, my village is filled with freaks and guinea pigs. I feel comfortable and safe knowing that I can lurk peoples profiles, and they can lurk mine, and very rarely do my freaks and guinea pigs try to outwit each other (or me) while hiding behind their superficial internet identities.

Recently I've stepped into another global village - that of the hipster/nerd message board variety. While I couldn't help but linger awhile and post a few things, I have never felt like such an outsider in my experience of being an internet user. I felt like the message board network was mainly a place for people to express politically incorrect ideas (that they would most likely not have the ballz to espouse in real life) and other often useless banter, while forming alliances with other members, while wasting lots of time.

And I really have no problem with the last part but it seems like the politics and culture of the thing are hard to respect. There's really very little accountability and while people are having discourse intercourse, I doubt that the format allows for more than a poll of ironic witticisms and attempts at thread cred...

I wouldn'tbe so put off by it if people were as considerate towards one another on these boards as they'd be in real life. But given the fact that most people are assholes deep deep down, I think it would be unrealistic to expect courtesy on a hipster message board...

So every time I check back, mostly out of curiousity and boredom, I leave feeling irked.

In conclusion, I am definitely too sensitive for certain forums of electronic exchange - but never MySpace.

So, what does everyone think? To me, it seems to (in general) be dead on. This particular board isn't as bad as others (and some people here are actually really rad), which is why I post here (but even HC's Open Jam is pretty disgusting). It's also more or less how I started posting here... I lurked for awhile, occassionally felt the need to post something, and, well... now I'm a regular (though judging by my post count, I guess not as regular as I could be).

But in general... what do you think?

Archived