I've Got the Benefit Gig Blues

aloha

• Members

So, some students asked my band to play a "diversity fair" at a local shopping mall...

It's not my idea of a good time, but I teach for the school and three of the band members are alumni. We reluctantly agreed.

Fast forward a couple of weeks...we haven't heard anything. Our drummer found something else to do that day. We figured that they hadn't put together the gig.

So, today, a student comes to me and puts release forms under my nose. I asked him what they are for. He tells me that they are for the gig.

Sh!t...

I wanted to flat out turn them down and slap him upside the head for not contacting our manager properly and working through the proper channels.

The best compromise I could find was to agree to play a stripped down local jams kind of thing with no drummer, but only if they promised not to use our band's name on any of the promo material.

I didn't want their inexperience and lack of organization messing up our band's reputation.

Comments? Thanks, I needed to vent.

• Members

So, some students asked my band to play a "diversity fair" at a local shopping mall...

It's not my idea of a good time, but I teach for the school and three of the band members are alumni. We reluctantly agreed.

Fast forward a couple of weeks...we haven't heard anything. Our drummer found something else to do that day. We figured that they hadn't put together the gig.

So, today, a student comes to me and puts release forms under my nose. I asked him what they are for. He tells me that they are for the gig.

Sh!t...

I wanted to flat out turn them down and slap him upside the head for not contacting our manager properly and working through the proper channels.

The best compromise I could find was to agree to play a stripped down local jams kind of thing with no drummer, but only if they promised not to use our band's name on any of the promo material.

I didn't want their inexperience and lack of organization messing up our band's reputation.

Comments? Thanks, I needed to vent.

Just tell them you can't do it .. Somthing came up. Going out and public and playing without your drummer isnt going to do your band any good in the way of PR. Just tell the kids ,, they waited too long, and you had to assume that the gig was off... Sorry it didnt work out. rat

• Members

Rat obviously you've never worked in a school setting. Thats a fine answer for a bunch of half-assed promoters, but these are his kids, man. Play the gig under an assumed, hopefully amusing, band name, chalk it up to karma, and move on.

Dolan

• Members

Yeah, SP, that's what I did...

We are calling ouselves the "______ College All Stars" for the day. I didn't want to ruin their day, but I made sure to explain to them that their lack of organization wouldn't fly in the real world.

Z

• Members

Rat obviously you've never worked in a school setting. Thats a fine answer for a bunch of half-assed promoters, but these are his kids, man. Play the gig under an assumed, hopefully amusing, band name, chalk it up to karma, and move on.

Dolan

Yea i have .... our little ski area did a huge business with multiple school systems. Ski clubs and field trips were our bread and butter. I have had to tell a ski club sponser that I wasnt going to cut his wife the deal that i cut him on equipment. This guy was bringing several bus loads of kids a week. I sold the guy his gear at cost due to professional courtesy. If i tuned up his wife with the same deal he would have expected even more out of me. I had to draw the line. I know it can be difficult trust me. Try firing a good customers kid who worked part time for you in brats class. Or washing a good customers kid out of flight lessons. I understand how working with the public can put you between a rock and a hard spot. You do the best you can do.

As for telling a student no you cant play.... hell do you think everyone in the world is going to say yes to the kid the rest of his life. It might do some of these kids some good to get told no , every now and then. When they get into the real world they wont be shocked when it happens to them after they have screwed up. rat

• Members

Thanks sp,

The performance will be at Ward Warehouse (the old one) at the stage below Kincaid's by the Food Court.

It would be nice to have some people check it out.

Rhat,

I feel the same way about gigs. I try not to do freebies. I only do them for the Hawaiian immersion schools, Arthritis Foundation, and once in a while for the school where I am an instructor. Otherwise, I get paid to play.

My rationale is that the school is a learning place (it's not about me). That's why we aren't using our band's name.

The other reason for my donation of time/talent is to combat the rampant poverty in Hawaii (against one of the highest costs of living) in some, albeit minor, way.

• Members

Thanks sp,

The performance will be at Ward Warehouse (the old one) at the stage below Kincaid's by the Food Court.

It would be nice to have some people check it out.

Hey Aloha,

My old group almost played there last year but the other guys thought our music would be too loud and heavy for the shopping mall crowd. I've done freebies for craft fairs and women's shelters though as a solo and duo acoustic act. Good luck!

• Members

Hey Ray...

Could you give me some heads up on how the sound works in that outdoor space? It seems like there would be a lot of reflection...

Does it suck mids/ emphasize them?

Any tips would be appreciated...I think we will be without a drummer that day, so it shouldn't get too out of control. We have our own PA and sound man and know how to use the gear...

Thanks again.

Z

• Members

As for telling a student no you cant play.... hell do you think everyone in the world is going to say yes to the kid the rest of his life. It might do some of these kids some good to get told no , every now and then. When they get into the real world they wont be shocked when it happens to them after they have screwed up. rat

Um.... am I the only one who thinks that the original poster already heard what they wanted to hear, regardless?

:thu:

• Members

Um.... am I the only one who thinks that the original poster already heard what they wanted to hear, regardless?

:thu:

who knows ... I do know he is going up on stage with less than a full band. You can change the name ,, but its still him and his band up on that stage. I sure as hell wouldnt get up on stage for free with less than the best my band had to offer the public. .... Only he knows what they can pull off. It seems a little risky ,, especially for a free gig. You can be great and no one remembers you ,,, you suck and they never forget lol. I wish them luck on a good show and I hope those kids realize just how far out on the limb he is going for them..I admire his commitment to the kids ......rat

• Members

Keep in mind that if the kids couldn't keep you in the loop and dropped the ball on the bands that are playing the gig (and they see you often I assume), they most likely have completely underestimated the sound/PA system they will need for it. Besides playing without a drummer, be prepared to play in a nightmare sound situation.

• Members

Rhat and DeChromium,

You guys are both absolutely correct.

I hope they do realize how far out on the limb we are crawling. It can potentially be a super horrible situation. We've done paid gigs without our drummer before, but it's always a hassle to get the sloppiness out.

In an attempt to save the sound, we are bringing our own PA system. I know that these benefit gigs always provide the absolute worst crap and I know that bad sound will always drain all life from the show.

After all, if the guys on stage don't feel good, then no one else will either.

Cheers for your comments.

Aloha

• Members

Hey Ray...

Could you give me some heads up on how the sound works in that outdoor space? It seems like there would be a lot of reflection...

Does it suck mids/ emphasize them?

Any tips would be appreciated...I think we will be without a drummer that day, so it shouldn't get too out of control. We have our own PA and sound man and know how to use the gear...

Thanks again.

Z

Aloha,

I would definitely recommend using your own PA as I seem to remember they had some pretty beat up system and speakers but this was about 2 years ago. Just take into consideration that along with it being outdoors/open air there's a lot of concrete, I seem to remember it reflecting mids more that sucking them. If you guys keep at a low enough volume it should be ok especially w/o a drummer.

Good luck!

• Members

Raybies,

Your awesome. This is exactly the kind of thing that needs to happen more often.

Thank you for helping us. Let me know if/when you head out here again.

Z

Aloha,

Hope you had a good gig. I actually live in Honolulu, I have a classic rock cover band that I'm trying to get going. We just need a decent drummer and we're ready to gig. If you know anyone, please let me know!

• Members

When you say "classic rock," Ray, I have to ask "how classic?" (tongue in cheek)...

Plenty of bands over here aren't exactly spring chickens, and "classic rock" seems to mean something entirely different than I think is usually the case on these forums.

I know a couple of drummers and could point them in your direction. Some are young, some are crusty. The crusty ones are usually better, but have harder schedules...

You knwo how it is.

Thanks for your support for the gig. I sent you a shout out. I got a lot of wierd looks when I sent out a special thanks to Raybies...

It wasn't a memorable gig, but the system was pretty good. We had our own and didn't end up needing it. They had pro stuff and even a sound guy.

The kids had fun and we just goofed around on a couple of songs.

Z

• Members

Hey glad to hear your gig went well.

Thanks for the drummer tip, we have a drummer that we've been working with, supposed to practice tonight and he calls and says he can't make it last minute. This has gotten me so frustrated that we can't find a drummer who at least can keep a beat and not be flaky. I'm going to send an email to the guy you gave me and see how it goes. I'd prefer to find someone experienced who has played similar material to ours before. Our setlist includes Stones, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Bad Company, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Cream.

Thanks again!

Ray

• Members

Well

You opened yuor mouth and tolded the kids you would do it !So do it big deal if they didn`t do it right ,now your sounding like a kid .. Go do it grab your PA

and the band go have fun make the best of it .next time don`t tell someone you`ll do it if your not going to ...

Archived