Band management software?

kenm

• Members

Do any of you use software to help manage your band? I think we are most interested in getting something to manage our mailing list, but if it had other features, that would be great too.

Ideas?

Ken

• Members

Do any of you use software to help manage your band? I think we are most interested in getting something to manage our mailing list, but if it had other features, that would be great too.

Ideas?

Ken

I manage my band's affairs using the standard suite of Microsoft Office products. I use MS Outlook to manage the group calendar and contacts - as well as some rudimentary task lists. I keep the band song list in an MS Excell spreadsheet. I use MS Word to draft all correspondence and promo materials. Finally, I use FrontPage to maintain our website. The only non-Microsoft product I use is Quicken - to manage group finances.

I haven't seen any "band management" specific software packages - and frankly, would be surprised that there's a big enough market to have enticed anybody to develop something specific for the purpose.

• Members

software to manage a band, hmm...

My dayjob is as a software developer. Can't say I see much need for specialized software for managing bands...but that don't mean there ain't a need.

I would think for mailing lists, MS Word and a mail merge would be fine for snail mail, and your favorite e-mail program's group feature would be sufficient for mass e-mailings. MySpace (and a few other sites) seems to be built for hosting a band's website with no coding skills needed.

What else does a band need (beyond what any other small part-time business needs)?

• Members

We use:

I'd say the most useful of the above is the server-side mailing list. It allows people to subscribe and unsubscribe themselves so I don't have to manually add names (though there is that option too). It has a mail-merge function and sends to individual email addresses, which helps circumvent spam filters (a lot of filters will junk email that isn't sent directly to the recipients address, for example, if they're on a Bcc list).

Archived