Finding bandmates on Craig's List in the wrong city.

• Members

Hello everyone. I live in Washington, DC. It's a post-punk city (Fugazi, Minor Threat, etc.) and the suburbs are almost exclusively cover bands and metal. It's not that there aren't any people here doing what I want to do (Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Coldplay etc), but it seems it's a shallow pool to begin with.

So I post regularly on Craig's List, and I'll specifically word it that I want someone my age or younger (I'm 28), with some experience, pro-minded, no wife, ready to rehearse and tour, and I only seem to get the opposite reply. It also helps when you can check someone out on MySpace.

So, unless someone can point me to a similar thread (it doesn't have to be geared towards Washington DC only), I'd like advice on ways to find bandmates. I have demos, and I'm trying to find people I can hang out with as well, but it's damn near impossible it seems. Thanks, cheers.

• Members

Apart from all of the on-line classifieds, and the bulliten boards in your local music shops, your best option is theft. Get entrenched in the local scene and find guys who are in bands but are on your wavelength.

The rhythm guitarist in a former band of mine was offered a spot on bass in a touring band--he didn't take it, but we didn't really begrudge the band for trying to take him.

• Members

Hello everyone. I live in Washington, DC. It's a post-punk city (Fugazi, Minor Threat, etc.) and the suburbs are almost exclusively cover bands and metal. It's not that there aren't any people here doing what I want to do (Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Coldplay etc), but it seems it's a shallow pool to begin with.

So I post regularly on Craig's List, and I'll specifically word it that I want someone my age or younger (I'm 28), with some experience, pro-minded, no wife, ready to rehearse and tour, and I only seem to get the opposite reply. It also helps when you can check someone out on MySpace.

So, unless someone can point me to a similar thread (it doesn't have to be geared towards Washington DC only), I'd like advice on ways to find bandmates. I have demos, and I'm trying to find people I can hang out with as well, but it's damn near impossible it seems. Thanks, cheers.

the ad is all important. you may think youre doing a great job of communicating your vision of what youre looking for, and what you dont want, but i have seen more bad ads than good. maybe get some feedback on the ad itself from someone whose opinion you trust.

that said, youll always get a few people who just dont read the ad an seem to auto reply to anything. that cant really be helped.

still though even if DC has a particular sound, you have to assume that there are people playing all genres of music around. its a major metropolitan area.

you might consider opening some of the parameters of you search up a bit. like why only people younger than yourself? why no married people? are you that sure youre headed out on the road full time and only need people who are that flexible?

• Members

Apart from all of the on-line classifieds, and the bulliten boards in your local music shops, your best option is theft. Get entrenched in the local scene and find guys who are in bands but are on your wavelength.

This is pretty true.... A lot of good bands were formed from stealing members, or at least borrowing and never returning....

Archived