Moving forward with this act?

• Members

I have a set of over 50 covers I do on acoustic with a friend (and very good player) on bass. We've played at one club so far and we keep getting asked back. We're having fun and we're doing songs that I like and can sing well.

How do we break into other clubs and bars, and how should we advertise ourselves? We aren't doing the standard covers. There are a few classic rock songs in our set, but most of the songs we do are by artists like Helmet, Dinosaur Jr., Jawbreaker, The Pumpkins, Early Death cab, Jeff Buckley, and other alternative bands. We're working on an Opeth cover (The Drapery Falls), and we have some nofx tunes in case anyone requests some punk.

• Members

Your artist list has a lot of alternative music in it. I would target bars amd clubs with that format. Find out where that audience hangs out. that would be the first place I set an audition. Website are great. But I recently talk to a Fort Lauderdale band ( the Grind) they book using only a demo CD. They gig 3-4 times a week.

• Members

could do a lot of ways. Don't look for bars where your typical cover bands play. With one acoustic and bass, you'd do well in the joints where people hang out, not dance.

1. Coffee house joints.

2. Smaller 'pubs' --not clubs.

3. If you're around a college, I'd see what the frats are up to. You may be good backdrop for a basement hangout.

Basically, market yourself as the opposite of the loud dance music.

Sounds like a cool show. Good Luck!

Archived