Lineup change = Same band name?

ckcondon

• Members

I used to be guitarist/vocalist in the band the OP was talking about.

In my view (as a former but not founding member), he IS the band, and since May of 2005, when the last founding member quit, it's been pretty much thrown together, with the constant being ckcondon behind the drum kit.

The setlist has been very similar over the course of the band's history, no matter what the lineup (and this is version number eight of the band, I think) and venues are very familiar with the product, even though it's gone through a lot of changes, personnel-wise, over the years - it delivers fun, uptempo modern rock covers with a few classics thrown in.

As far as I know (and I know them both pretty well), neither of the other two founding members has ever had an issue with him keeping the name after their departure, since it was really ckcondon who put the band together and named it from the start, and he's always stayed true to the original focus of the band.

So just understand that there's really nothing deceitful about this situation, since all parties know what's going on (and he's even done the smart thing by having the new members play at some of the shows so the venues can hear the "new and improved" band). The other three who have been in the band since I left in 2006 have never been fully invested in it, from what I understand, and that's been sort of by design, since they can only really play a limited schedule anyway. Sure, it sucks for them, but I don't think any of them are all that pissed off about it, because the guitarist and bassist have other stuff going on, and the singer has a new baby.

I can understand that it looks a lot worse on paper than it actually is...but I doubt any venue's going to be all that sad about the change so long as the vibe is pretty much the same or better.

Best of luck with the new Dial-9, Chris...
Brian

Archived