How do you promote your band's upcoming gig?

• Members

Directed especially to rock-bands who play originals.

So you've landed a gig at a bar or a club, maybe solo or with one or two other bands, you're most likely playing for free (atleast here unknown bands don't get anything) and you bring all your own gear save for the PA.

How do you promote the gig? Hand out fliers? Put posters on every noticeboard from your local schools to grocery stores to streetlamps? Advertize on your webpage, myspace, facebook, and on all internet forums you frequent? Call all your friends and their dog to come and see you?

So far we've managed to get pretty steady crowds of 20-50 folks in bars and small clubs but that's been with pretty little "promoing" but to move up into the 100-crowd, what do you do?

• Members

its sad that this thread dropped to the bottom of page 1. it should be the most posted in thread this forum has ever seen. its a sad state for GJ.

i think you've got the right idea. part of the problem with NYC is that people only come out to see their friend's band and don't stay for the rest of the bill. so its really difficult to get new fans because everybody is too cool to stick around. also, bookers tend to not group like acts together at all. so the next band comes on and everybody leaves because its nothing like what they came to see.

as far as getting to new fans, i suggest you offer something to your core. free admission, a t-shirt, buttsecks, whatever. but get them to bring people and actively campaign for you. the only way to get your message out is to get people excited enough to do your work for you. its the same idea as running for political office. there's many books on the subject in your local Barnes & Noble. go check them out and follow their directions. no reason to reinvent the wheel if you don't have to.

• Members

Stickers! I've been meaning to have stickers for us made for ages but have never gotten around to doing it! Because we all frequent bars and that means we frequent public toilets and when you're taking a piss you have nothing to do and read the stuff that's on the walls, right?

The gist is that the sticker has to be cool enough to convince the person to remember it or mark the band's website or even name on their cell phone and check it out later or come see a gig some time.

What sells? Sex. We have a lesbian model who's turning into our "symbol" since she's on our demo's cover, gig poster, and will be on the sticker. Even though she's not in the band. :poke:

You think it might be a good idea to offer free shirts for coming to a gig? Or too desperate? Does my bum look big in this? *insecure* :confused:

Hmm, perhaps this should be moved to Backstage with the band...

• Members

sex sells alright.

band together a few more bands and pay for strippers onstage while the bands perform.

you must think i m kidding.

this worked for a brootalz gig here a few months ago. it was controversial, but it did work.

• Members

We actually played a show here in Ohio, to save the strippers. This was around the time when the state was considering legistation that would hinder dancers' abilities to be naked after midnight.

Unfortunatley, the kind of half assed it. They were supposed to bring poles and the whole lot.

Instead, we got a fully clothed dancer just sort of standing on stage w/ us. Our bass player almost knocked her out a few times. It was kind of anoying, actually.

Anyway, as far as promotion, we use any means possible.

Myspace, website, word o' mouth, flyers, telling people we'll put them on the "guest list".

The most fruitful approach though, has been booking shows w/ bands that have larger draws than us.

It comes down to constant networking and communication with the local scene.

I've seen bands promote shows on craigslist before. I'm not sure how well this works at filling a room, but it does get you some myspace views.

• Members

We're not an originals act but we've had a good impact using an e-mail list. It started with our circle of friends. Now its over a hundred addresses. Everyone on the list has asked to get our e-mails. We've started keeping a clipboard at gigs so people can sign up if they want to.

We send out a "come see us" message 5-7 days before a gig.

• Members

We do the same things mentioned here. Flyers (EVERYWHERE), stickers (great, inexpensive giveaway), myspace (don't OVER DO it, that just gets on folks nerves, but be persistent. Don't send a flyer to someone in CA if you live in FL. Chances are, they aren't coming..got it?) We have a mailing list sign up sheet at everyshow, we get their email addresses, and send em show dates etc.

• Members

We don't do anything-it's whoever hires us job to bring the people-it's our job to play. I don't want a gig that expects me to bring people. Then I'm doing two jobs-I'm just interested in playing, not convincing people to come see our group. That club manager types have convinced bands that it's their job to bring people is one of the sad things about playing in a band these days. It takes away the idea of getting a gig based on artistic merit and reduces it to who has the most friends willing to show up. I admire the band who promotes their gig not because they have to but simply to have a more successful gig

Archived