Transformation from one role to another

• Members

Hey ya'll, it's been a minute...hope everyone's getting lots of gigs and whatnot. :poke:

Sunday I'm auditioning for a lead vocalist/lead guitarist role. I've done the band thing for about 4 years, been a lead guitarist for that time and done up to maybe 6-7 songs on lead vocals in a standard 4 hour night.

So, my question(s) to ya'll...how do I transform myself? I'm not completely in the dark and I have a bunch of good ideas so far, but looking for some more.

The band is a blues/rock/jam band type of deal. I think for a lot of the stuff I may be doing JUST vocals, so I want to concentrate on that aspect. W/ a guitar in hand I have no problem at all, but if you got any tips there too it can't hurt. I'm sure not the be all end all. I've heard good things about my voice, 9 out of 10 times. Same with my stage presence. I'm humble, but people tell me I've got 'it', when I let it out. In real life however, I'm pretty low key and can be pretty reserved. I'm excited though, so opening up won't be a problem, it's WHAT TO DO to open up that's interesting me.

The other thing - memorizing the lyrics...I know I just have to get familiar w/ all the music and focus on that. I've been prepping pretty good, working more on my voice than my chops...I figure if I get the spot, that can come later....and since most of it's the blues/rock/jam band stuff, just tell me what key and if ya want some slide, and I'm there...especially if I can take a 12/24 and do the call and respond w/ vocals.

Sorry for the short story, figured I'd give as much background as I could.

EDIT - watching video's/listening to music and stuff online isn't an option for me at this time until I get my pc fixed. I know someone's going to mention a vid or 2 on the youtube, just thought I'd pre-empt that.

• Members

Hey ya'll, it's been a minute...hope everyone's getting lots of gigs and whatnot. :poke:

Sunday I'm auditioning for a lead vocalist/lead guitarist role. I've done the band thing for about 4 years, been a lead guitarist for that time and done up to maybe 6-7 songs on lead vocals in a standard 4 hour night.

So, my question(s) to ya'll...how do I transform myself? I'm not completely in the dark and I have a bunch of good ideas so far, but looking for some more.

The band is a blues/rock/jam band type of deal. I think for a lot of the stuff I may be doing JUST vocals, so I want to concentrate on that aspect. W/ a guitar in hand I have no problem at all, but if you got any tips there too it can't hurt. I'm sure not the be all end all. I've heard good things about my voice, 9 out of 10 times. Same with my stage presence. I'm humble, but people tell me I've got 'it', when I let it out. In real life however, I'm pretty low key and can be pretty reserved. I'm excited though, so opening up won't be a problem, it's WHAT TO DO to open up that's interesting me.

The other thing - memorizing the lyrics...I know I just have to get familiar w/ all the music and focus on that. I've been prepping pretty good, working more on my voice than my chops...I figure if I get the spot, that can come later....and since most of it's the blues/rock/jam band stuff, just tell me what key and if ya want some slide, and I'm there...especially if I can take a 12/24 and do the call and respond w/ vocals.

Sorry for the short story, figured I'd give as much background as I could.

EDIT - watching video's/listening to music and stuff online isn't an option for me at this time until I get my pc fixed. I know someone's going to mention a vid or 2 on the youtube, just thought I'd pre-empt that

Lol..that was going to be my response....

In what way are you looking to transform yourself? Are you talking about your image, stage presence, playing/singing ablity, or all of the above?

• Members

Lol..that was going to be my response....

In what way are you looking to transform yourself? Are you talking about your image, stage presence, playing/singing ablity, or all of the above?

I knew it! :)

Yeah, more or less all of the above. I've been studying/practicing proper technique to the degree I can. Got a lot of great pointers from some friends on the Blindmans Blues Forum, but image/stage presence are the big ones I'm curious about.

I'm 31, fairly good looking and fit. Just sayin', so that's in my favor I guess. :rolleyes: I don't want to be really cheesy about it, but I do want to give them a proper show and take it to the limit I'm able. I know I have to be able to sing the parts while getting crazy and whatnot though too. I've watched a lot of Zep footage before, so I've got some of that in mind. Same with Jimi and SRV, more for other reasons (git fiddle), but for those same reasons I don't think those DVD's will be much help. Technically I don't even have the job yet but I believe in preparing and dressing for the job you want, not the job you have. :rolleyes::blah:

• Members

I knew it!
:)

Yeah, more or less all of the above. I've been studying/practicing proper technique to the degree I can. Got a lot of great pointers from some friends on the Blindmans Blues Forum, but image/stage presence are the big ones I'm curious about.

I'm 31, fairly good looking and fit. Just sayin', so that's in my favor I guess.
:rolleyes:
I don't want to be really cheesy about it, but I do want to give them a proper show and take it to the limit I'm able. I know I have to be able to sing the parts while getting crazy and whatnot though too. I've watched a lot of Zep footage before, so I've got some of that in mind. Same with Jimi and SRV, more for other reasons (git fiddle), but for those same reasons I don't think those DVD's will be much help. Technically I don't even have the job yet but I believe in preparing and dressing for the job you want, not the job you have.
:rolleyes::blah:

Well, I suck at the image thing...lol. I'm not very trendy these days, as I don't have the money to keep up. As far as dress goes, though, if this is any help, I would go with a cool hat, like the old driving caps or something, and some aviator sunglasses. Black anything is always cool with jeans and black boots...

As far as the stage presence goes, I would say that if you're doing the free-singer thing, it's easier for you to engage the crowd. Put yourself truly out in front of the band and get as much contact as you can with the crowd while you're on stage...eye contact, hand contact, getting the crowd to interact...etc.

I think it would be more of a challenge if you're playing guitar, and even more so if you're playing lead guitar. If that is the case, I think you'll have to rely on being more vocal with the crowd...keep them engaged by talking to them...talk to specific people in the crowd at random. Don't be afraid to "throw down"...learn how to do the uber-cool guitar spin...but the main thing is that as long as you are not busy singing or playing lead, DO NOT stand still or stand in one spot.

Not sure if that helps you or not...it's hard to really describe stage presence without being in front of someone.

• Moderators

I'm gonna chime in on this thread- I was a drummer and guitar player for around eight years before I started fronting a band for the first time, and it's been an interesting learning process.

One think I feel very strongly is that one shouldn't force it. If at a given time it doesn't feel right to do more exagerated gestures or actions, don't do it. It's ok if you're not doing a lot- the most critical thing is to exude confidence. Nobody wants to go to a show and see somebody looking like they wished they weren't onstage. So even if you do feel nervous, act like you aren't.

As far as the stage presence goes, I would say that if you're doing the free-singer thing, it's easier for you to engage the crowd. Put yourself truly out in front of the band and get as much contact as you can with the crowd while you're on stage...eye contact, hand contact, getting the crowd to interact...etc.

Yes, it's definitely easier to engage people when you have your hands free. I actually added another member to my band so I only have to play guitar on about half the songs, and even then on some of them I'll just play a lead line or something and not have to play while singing. When you're unencumbered by your instrument, take advantage of it: point, make eye contact, make gestures... it doesn't have to be over-the-top but from time to time take advantage of your hands being free.

Archived