Should I be more patient? How much time do you spend teaching your parts to others?

• Members
As someone that burned through 8 guitar instructors in my first year of playing...I know very well, the effects of people that can't communicate, explain, simply or for that matter, actually understand what they are doing...

Simply put..if you want to show others what to do...you need to tell them..

- The Key your playing in

- The chords your playing

- The tuning your in

- Best to have a recording of what your doing so they get a feel for the song

And keep this in mind, just because you get it...because you came up with it, doesn't mean everyone else is feeling it...imagine EVH walking up and teaching you Eruption..and you never tapped before, never did Chuck Berry Licks, or worked a Whammy bar...he would just have to slow it way down, go back to basics...

I can't tell you how many dip{censored}s at blues jams would look at me when I asked them the key of the song with a sense of bewilderment..or if I asked the chords, they just putt their fretted hands in front and go 'see?'...total morons...they didn't even know what they were doing..many people have no clue what they are playing, and why, as they simply copied something...

I have had more retards when asked the chords they are playing go...'three, that's a five,' and yes I get the numbered system..but do you want to be on stage...going 'Lets see, I am in the key of A flat...he say's it's a five....A flat, B flat, Cflat..."

when all he had to do what tell you the chord...the fact is...he doesn't even know....

And here in lies what is commonly considered one of the biggest impediments to learning guitar...bad instructors...it's frustrating, gut wrenching...and in a nut shell if I meet another 'good ol boy' that 'taught himself' how to play that doesn't know the chords to his own {censored}ing song, then it's yet another dressing down on the basics of guitar language...

When I explain something to someone...they get the whole shebang, so when they {censored} it up...there are no excuses...

If your teaching licks...again, just standing in front of them, and going 'see' is total bull{censored}...

What you should be able to do when it comes to licks is say this..

- This lick is played over this song, in this key.

- This lick is using this scale.

- These are the notes of the lick

- Now this is the picking hand, here is the technique when I do this, at this time, or that..

Honestly guys..and I don't want to sound unglued here...but I am so sick of every 'taught himself' how to play guitarist, that doesn't have the basic understand of chords, theory, the notes they are playing...

'Playing by Ear?': What bull{censored}...possible? sure...I mean when you have heard a dive bomb before, then you know it when you heard it...

but facts are facts...EVH turned his back on the audience when he did the finger tapping thing...and for the most part...nobody had any clue what he was doing....because they couldn't see what he was doing..

:facepalm:

• Members

I have had more retards when asked the chords they are playing go...'three, that's a five,' and yes I get the numbered system..but do you want to be on stage...going 'Lets see, I am in the key of A flat...he say's it's a five....A flat, B flat, Cflat..."

when all he had to do what tell you the chord...the fact is...he doesn't even know....

For someone who is ready and willing to judge other players' competency, you really should figure out how to communicate with Nashville numbers...

• Members

Apparently real musicians don't play by ear. Was the 9th instructor you found the first one who agreed to play your guitar for you on stage, while you shouted out the names of the notes to the audience much like a sign language expert would for a hearing impaired crowd?

I kid .. but, I don't think we're talking about the same things. First of all, I'm not trying to teach someone chords. We intrinsically know what key we're in as soon as we work on a new song and umm ... we usually know what tuning we're in as well. Every single thing we play in rehearsal is recorded as well.

Folks at blues jams probably looked at you with bewilderment because figuring out the key for a song, when playing blues is about the simplest thing to do. Try fiddling with the E string, the roots to any scale start there.

Before I go any further ...... was your post a joke?

• Members

just remember NeverTheMachine, you're the guy with the problem.

If you have a problem and the way you've tried to solve it ain't working, then you are effectively doing it wrong, regardless of what you believe. What matters is results.

You're trying your method. Use a new method.

Every song I wrote, I wrote the tab down on paper. Use lined paper, instant guitar strings for tab. I did it, so that as ai figured out riffs, I'd remember it all when I came back to it. Much easier to have a piece of paper confirming what I had planned.

Tak the time to write down your licks. It'll make explaining it easier.

Additionally, if you have a long riff, break it down. You can't show somebody 40 notes and say, "now you try"

Rewinding a bit more, if you hand a dude some tab and an MP3, you are off the hook for teaching it. At that point its his job to hit the wood shed. I think that's some of what norman was talking about.

Personally, i learn better from tab or sheet music, and I verify by ear versus the original music. I think there's plenty of people who work that way, so assuming everybody must learn by ear is foolish.

Archived