cool gig last night

MartinC

• Members

90 miles away, 5-8 in a restaurant, with three other musicians, one I never met before. He's in a pretty famous band, so the restaurant dude was stoked. No one really there in the first set, but we noticed looking in the window, four 12 year old or so boys, all holding skateboards. They were skate rats, dirty from a day of skating. We motioned for them to come inside the rather swanky restaurant and they did. They stood and watched us play a tune. I could see their eyes darting from player to player, digging the sight of these 50 year old men playing their instruments, making music.

After the tune they all sheepishly shook our hands and offered a compliment or two. They were walking out when one said he would love to have a cd if we had one and how much they were. I tossed the kid a cd and told him to make copies for his friends. They were stoked and shook all our hands again and thanked us. It turned out to be a pretty good gig, but that interaction was what is going to stay with me as the highlight of the evening.

• Members

There's definitely something about crossing generational boundaries that makes us old guys feel good !!!

I've been playing with private party acts for years (meaning that my family rarely got a chance to see us play) however, roughly nine months ago, I landed the keys spot with a great group of guys (all in their 40's and 50's) with a great following that play bar gigs locally.

I'd be lying my ass off if I said I don't grin ear to ear when I overhear conversations between my 21 year old son and his friends as they plan to come see us geezers play. The crowd at our last gig included roughly 35 kids (20 somethings...) that I've been watching grow up since elementary school.

Archived