Getting Paid

plepue

• Members

As some of you know I'm both a musician and a lawyer. I have been trying to provide free legal services to musicians for sometime and started a website to start dishing out some info. I'm just beginning and I'm hopeing you all can help me make it grow by sharing your stories and insights.

I've posted a new article on getting paid at my website: www.pjearly.com under the legal section along with an older article on Band Names. Please comment and share your experiences. I'll be happy to respond to any legal questions as well posted in my forum.

Thank you.

PJ

• Members

Great article. We are top mid level band in our area. We play good rooms for good pay but still have to fight and claw to get them. If we brought up a contract to these rooms we'd be skipped for another band. I do get confirmation emails from these owners/managers that state date, times and $$ for these gigs and feel this is satisfactory if an issue should arise. For any private event we do have a formal contract that requires a down payment. This is where I have been burned. Drunk patron loves the band and wants us next month for a big party he's throwing out at his cabin. We put it on our calendar and get all the info only to get a call a day or 2 before cancelling. Now we're out that gig and any chance of filling that date somewhere out. Even a $100 deposit lets us know someone is serious. We also have all the stipulations about weather, power, cops, and their getting off schedule and delaying things. Had to use it last week at a lake party where they were debating if we should setup on the deck on in the clubhouse. I let them know that we would not move the equipment if the rain started to anywhere but the trailer. They went ahead outside, rain hit 1:45 into the set, we loaded out and got paid in full. Have also weddings get way off schedule and want more music past the scheduled time. Pull out the contract and show the stated rate for music past the agreed to times and let them decide if they want to pay for more or call it a night.

• Members

Yes, Jim, I understand the difficulties getting contracts from smaller clubs. Your practice of getting a confirmation email is perfect. That's the best way to do it subtley and still protect yourself. I try to use email for as much contact as possible just to memorialze my conversations.

I started out with $300 bar bands and went through that circuit and no how those clubs and owners treat you. The interesting thing is, that once I was playing with higher paying regional acts, I played some of these same clubs and got contracts every time. I believe the issue is perception. If the club sees you as a struggling garage band that they can take advantage of, they will. If they see you as a professional act that they are lucky to get, you will be treated better.

I wouldnt even ask them about a contract. Once you book the gig, I would just automatically send a contract over to them.

Archived