Recording in a down economy...

Ryan.

• Members

Hey guys,

Not really sure if this is the right place to be posting this, but I'll try anyway.

My original band is preparing to write again and record a 10-12 song CD. It will be our first. IT IS SO F-ING EXPENSIVE TO RECORD!

There is a local place called Pus Cavern that does work for big name bands and we'd like to get in there. My question to you guys is: Is the recording business down with everything else? Is it reasonable to assume we could negotiate better prices for recording right now?

What are some ways that you have found to keep recording prices down? Some studios around here say $400 per song. Doesn't matter how long it takes you to record it, which takes the pressure of being perfect on every track off, but then quality maybe suffers? Others are $50/hr period.

Anyway, what do you guys do?

• Moderators

I don't like to record hourly; I much prefer to have the time to get comfortable and expirement a bit in the studio.

Anyhow, the bad economy means its a buyers market. There's a place here in Seattle that's $200 a day lockout- it's got 2" tape plus a great Pro Tools setup. Not many creature comforts but the gear will get the job done. My producer is a friend and he gives me a deal at $200 per day, so, as a did I can book a three day weekend for $1200. That's how long it took to do my band's last album, minus fixes/mixing etc.

• Moderators

Wow thats dope!

I think, given the economy, you'll find a lot of good engineers and studios willing to give you a good rate. What I wouldn't do is fall for the allure of fancy-looking studios that use the word "pro" every two sentences... at places like that you're not just paying for the acoustics and gear but also the atmosphere and amenities. What you should look for is the best gear, and people who know how to use it... even if the places you record are dumpy.

• Members

To me the most important thing is to really take an honsest look at your material and decide if its in reality good enough to go for a pro studio vs a home brew CD. I have seen guys spend tons on stuff that to be honest really was not worth the expense. Recording is somthing you can try at home , these days. The home brew gear may be a better value for a band since it provides unlimited recording time,, and that can do a band more good than just 10 tracks of not so good songs recorded good.

• Members

My producer is a friend and he gives me a deal at $200 per day, so, as a did I can book a three day weekend for $1200. That's how long it took to do my band's last album, minus fixes/mixing etc.

Wouldn't that be $600 instead of $1200? Or do you mean it took two three day weekends to finish it?

In either case, those are some great rates. :thu:

• Moderators

Wouldn't that be $600 instead of $1200? Or do you mean it took two three day weekends to finish it?

In either case, those are some great rates.
:thu:

$200 a day for the studio, plus $200 a day to the engineer/producer, makes $400/day. Times three... $1200.

:)

• Members

I did my last two CDs for a project rate of $2000 for the first one in 2000, $2200 for the second in 2003, plus $500 for mastering. I had an average of 90 hours tracking and mixing each of them. The engineer had a studio built onto his house, so his overhead was lower, but he still got 22 + dollars an hour for working out of his house and I got a good product for a very reasonable price.

Archived