A few questions regarding vocal techniques/exercises.

leddrokkenstud

• Members

1. Should I able to sing anything I can sing at full volume, full voice at a more breathy, lower volume? Which one is normally easier? For example, I can nail the notes no problem full voice in The Mayfield Four's song "Summergirl", but I struggle to sing the beginning choruses as softly as he does. Here's a link to the song: youtube watch?v=ymMs0bD9w0k

2. I've read at multiple places that an amazing exercise to do is going from falsetto to full voice back to falsetto on the same note. I'm STRUGGLING trying to do this, on whichever note. Anyone have any tips as to how to visualize doing this, what to focus on, and just any other general tips on how to do this more easily?

3. What are some good ways to keep the throat open on higher notes? I'm not really talking about operatic style singing, but more challenging rock that requires a wide range.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

• Members

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're having a problem maintaining good vocal quality at low volume. You sing well when you sing loud, but you don't like the sound when you lower your voice. Is that correct?

If so, two suggestions.

1. Breathiness is a useful tool at times for a vocalist, but it's not something that should be equated with "low volume," as you appear to do here. In fact breathiness can in itself deteriorate your vocal sound if you use it indiscriminately for softer passages. Try singing in a speaking voice during these passages and see if that solves the problem. (You can still apply breathiness if and when you want to during the passage for artistic effect, but start the basic sound "on your voice.")

2. Vocalists who have adequate breath support at high volume often lose it when they sing softly. I'm not sure why, but it happens. It happened to me, in fact, and because I noticed the weak sound at low volume I began to sing everything at high volume because that was the only vocal sound I could stand. :eek: Of course, this wiped out all of my dynamics and made me a rotten singer (in stylistic terms) even as it in a sense made me a better singer (in technical terms).

So, when you sing at low volume your breath support should be just as strong--perhaps even stronger-than it is when you sing loud passages. You should feel that same crunch in the upper stomach area, ribs should remain expanded, etc. Don't relax on low notes.:poke:

I don't have any advice about the falsetto issue, but there are tons of folks out there who work hard on building range through bridging these gaps. I'm sure someone else can address this question.

The standard advice about keeping the throat open is to "talk like a dummy," i.e., to let your larynx hang in a yawn-like position and simply talk. I find that when my breathing is working correctly, this isn't a problem. I focus on maintaining tension below, in order to relieve tension above. I try to direct the tension downward.

• Members

this is kinda old school, but has worked well for me - you need to learn to work the mic - that means, learn to sing just slightly above conversational level all the time and develop the ability to 'push' the vocal from the diaphragm - listen to jim morrision or iggy pop to get the idea - the 'push' is also called the 'rock growl' where you push the vocal so it distorts slightly creating the effect of volume increasing, when it really isn't - you move the mic closer when you do this to create the illusion of increased volume - likewise, you pull the mic away to make it sound like you're fading the vocal - to extend a phrase, start it with the mic away and gradually bring it closer as your note decays, thus creating an extension of the phrase- this is called 'working the mic' - i sit when i play but can still do this by moving around a lot. it works!

Archived