I'm on a tear with Video Promotion.

• Members

It took me years of interest, time and money to get to the point where I can sit down on a Sunday, think about the upcoming shows, pull footage from various shows and in less than an hour have a web ready video promo that gets passed around, talked about and keeps my band in people's mind until the next weekend show. Since I took a step back from full time gigging two years ago I decided I wanted to devote most of my efforts to the job no one wants to have... marketing and promotions. Course it's easy for me since I have a background in marketing but still it's major time and effort from other band related activities (booking, equipment purchases). In 1 1/ years I've basically produced 120 videos, combination of video shorts, gig recaps and promos. My favorite are the promos to produce.... I get a quick idea and then the challenge is to execute it. I started doing this simply because I had #1-Time on my hands... and #2- I sucked hard with graphic design. It's to the point that I'me even receiving compliments from other bands and musicians who clearly despise the attention we're receiving but still have a good laugh from the delivery of the joke.

Since January I've produced 17 promo videos. Most average between 250-350 views within two weeks of release but the exciting part is watching the amount of repeat viewings. That means some is watching it 2-3 times. I don't think I've ever attracted someone new to a show on the efforts of a single video. This is simply for reinforcement. I see bands broadcasting daily about their shows (sometimes 5-6 times per day ad naseaum). It's hard to rise above the chatter. As soon as I release the video the comments come, the Facebook 'likes' are initiated and I see people passing it around. I usually finish the video on a Sunday, and the release on a weeknight (Wednesday is a great night for release... that way it's not reposted repeatedly turning people off). As soon as I release it my band mates repost via their Facebook page and I watch the view counter. First hour 10-15, then the next hour... 20-30... within 4 hours 50-70 views. The big payoff is usually after 5pm... when people are done with work. It will usually go between 40-100 views in one evening. This week I arrived back from vacation on Thursday... made some quick edits to a video I posted a year, and I released it yesterday morning to numerous comments. In 24 hours it has 143 views.

Summertime Baywatch Parody.

[video=vimeo;23995591]

300 views in less than a week might not sound like a big deal to someone who may think 900,000 view on You Tube is something amazing. Keep in mind... this is 200-300 weekly... these views are coming from people who live withing 60 miles of where my band is performing. If I get even 50 people to return to a show because they were reminded about who we are and where we are playing then mission accomplished.

I won't bore you with all of them... but I'll include a few links to the best of the bunch.

Cinco De Mayo

Anniversary Show

Boring Mid-April Show

Another regular gig but decent footage

Show where a Spring Blizzard was in the forecast.

Show where I didn't have much to promote... it just 'came to me'.

Remember this guy?

BTW... bar owners LOVE this! :thu:

• Members

Awesome post mate! Shame your in the states or I'd pop down!

Out of interest, is there any reason you chose Vimeo over YouTube?

I'm glad you asked.

You Tube is pretty much poop to me. HD Video conversion sucks and they patrol the site for any copywrite footage. I have a buddy who runs a regional cover band video site and had regular warning messages of copywrite use, and content rights violations. Vimeo is run by people not a corporation. I pay $65 a year for a Premium membership and it gives me a generous upload (including easy to use destop and iphone apps), but some great stat tools so I can track daily viewings. For instance I can tell how many embedded viewings came from the link I posted above. You Tube offers... um, nothing along those lines. The stats are extremely important to me... I could care less if someone in Africa is watching my video, but I do want to track viewings from 3 counties away.

I'm always hoping something better comes along but yeah, Vimeo it for me right now.

Look at this video encoded through Vimeo

[video=vimeo;20851469]

Identical video encoded through You Tube

[video=youtube;-ergpbs4RKI]

See how pixelated the You Tube video is? Colors are washed out. Vimeo is much more crisp. What's the purpose of filming in HD if the end product looks like crap.

• Members

Awesome post mate! Shame your in the states or I'd pop down! We recently put something similar together but I think we might have to borrow a few ideas from yours
:thu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGd8r5pejN8

Out of interest, is there any reason you chose Vimeo over YouTube?

Hey... great clip by the way. Short, sweet and unapologetic. Like the fast cuts, multiple camera shots. Band sounds great too! :thu:

• Members

I love your video stuff! But you knew that already. :thu:

Our original drummer John is filling in this Friday. I'm going to try to make a quick promo video of a few different B-movie scream queens doing their thing then cut to a pic of John where he's sitting at his drums with a silly smile on his face and overlay it with "He's Baaaaaack!"(with circus theme music playing over it).

That is if I can find the time. We're rehearsing with four different drummers this week - a different one each night.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm glad you asked.

See how pixelated the You Tube video is? Colors are washed out. Vimeo is much more crisp. What's the purpose of filming in HD if the end product looks like crap.

I think another factor is that Vimeo seems to default to HD, where as YouTube (unless you are using iPad or with special coding) defaults to the lowest quality, that's the major factor! My initial instinct was to press "play" on both videos, Vimeo played the nice HD version whereas YouTube played the 360p version... (obviously I know to switch to HD mode after but most/all will just press play, thus rendering all your fancy... rendering! pointless).

Vimeo sounds like the winner then in my book! thanks for the heads up

Archived