The Ghost From Medleys Past...

• Members

Thought I'd share... this was almost 6 years ago, 500 gigs and 4 line up changes ago.

This morning I was digging through some old music files on a website I used to host band recordings on. I came across this recording , which was an old medley we did for a short time... brought back memories when we first started putting together long medleys 5-6-7+ songs. This was and finally into Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "Relax".... ahhhh the days when we would just throw random songs into the mix... say, "I'd like to play that song" instead of thinking about what's charted...etc. I remember we had many medley's at the time and we didn't play this that long... for obvious reasons ("Head Like a Hole" sounds like an ice pick being polished by a wood sander). It went into "Tainted Love" which bled into "Small Things" and then into Modern English's "Melt With You" and into the old standby "My Own Worst Enemy". (2nd half of the medley. I think we played the 1st half for a few months and then dumped it, but then played the 2nd half for several years after. The only three songs we play from that medley are Tainted Love, Small Things and Own Worst Enemy.

Over the years I've kept track of most of the changes we've made via recordings (setlist are useless since we abbreviate medley names and just work off memory). But pretty much from the begining we were recording rehearsals, gigs and playing back the results to fine tune things. I can't remember how I recorded this... I'm thinking it was a mic hung somewhere near the FOH recording to a Sony Minidisc recorder. I have dozens of these old gig recordings on mp3 (I graduated to a Zoom H4).... I have some pretty embarrassing stuff... I should load them all onto my iPod and just hit shufffle. :D

• Members

We do "Melt With You", but it's filler for sure. I've seen bands get good mileage out of "Take Me Out", and one local group gets a lot out of "Head Like A Hole", but they're an edgier band anyway.

Still, it's always interesting to go back and listen to recordings with previous musicians and musical directions than what you have now. Unfortunately, our demo audio is getting to be to us what this is to you.. which probably means it's time to drop another few bucks on a solid audio demo again.. *sigh*

Good look back!

Archived