Epic gig last night!

• Members

Just too bad there was no one there to see it. :cry: Stupid vacation season...

We need to get some beach gigs. Agency guys are starting to come around, so hopefully soon...

But as far as fun, tightness, tone, flow, everything, it was just amazing end-to-end. Despite the lack of crowd, our energy was as high as ever. Even the bar owner said we're too good to be playing at his place, haha. It's nice to know what we can actually do, and having the bar set higher than ever, giving us something to strive toward or try to surpass.

Edit: A sampling of the evening

• Members

Just too bad there was no one there to see it.
:cry:
Stupid vacation season...

We need to get some beach gigs. Agency guys are starting to come around, so hopefully soon...

But as far as fun, tightness, tone, flow, everything, it was just amazing end-to-end. Despite the lack of crowd, our energy was as high as ever. Even the bar owner said we're too good to be playing at his place, haha. It's nice to know what we can actually do, and having the bar set higher than ever, giving us something to strive toward or try to surpass.

Edit:
A sampling of the evening

Indoors & summer are rough around here too. When we play indoors we usually lose a 1/3rd of the normal crowd just because it's inside. If it's exceptionally beautiful out we lose even more. As a result we tend to book differen't rooms in summer vs winter. Locally we have a few outdoor/waterfront clubs that do well in the summer and are close all winter long. So we balance these out all year long.

It also goes without saying, that until you build a 'following' on your own you're not likely to get an agent's attention quickly. Most of the bands on an agents roster are bands (or bands reformed from previoys bands) that have proven themselves to draw more than 50 people in any weather... I'm sure you have people (family, friends co-workers) that come out to some shows. You want to work toward getting people out at every gig possible, and retaining new people to start getting those better rooms. (especially NJ/DE shore gigs). I've been to your website, you guys are pretty tight... have a young charismatic singer. It takes time, but once you start building your name in the area, better opportunities will start opening up.

BTW I worked in Philly a while back (10+ years ago)... which Tailgators was this recording from. When I was own there were bands like Last Band Standing, Lima Bean Riot and Monster Island that used to play a 'Tailgators' down there. Can't remember which one.. there were a few.

• Members

Indoors & summer are rough around here too. When we play indoors we usually lose a 1/3rd of the normal crowd just because it's inside. If it's exceptionally beautiful out we lose even more. As a result we tend to book differen't rooms in summer vs winter. Locally we have a few outdoor/waterfront clubs that do well in the summer and are close all winter long. So we balance these out all year long.

It also goes without saying, that until you build a 'following' on your own you're not likely to get an agent's attention quickly. Most of the bands on an agents roster are bands (or bands reformed from previoys bands) that have proven themselves to draw more than 50 people in any weather... I'm sure you have people (family, friends co-workers) that come out to some shows. You want to work toward getting people out at every gig possible, and retaining new people to start getting those better rooms. (especially NJ/DE shore gigs). I've been to your website, you guys are pretty tight... have a young charismatic singer. It takes time, but once you start building your name in the area, better opportunities will start opening up.

BTW I worked in Philly a while back (10+ years ago)... which Tailgators was this recording from. When I was own there were bands like Last Band Standing, Lima Bean Riot and Monster Island that used to play a 'Tailgators' down there. Can't remember which one.. there were a few.

Thanks Grant--appreciate the insights. Thanks for checking us out. This is a place in Clifton Heights, sorta small, but very live music friendly, and we've become one of their favorites. Sometimes there's 300 people in the place, sometimes there's 30. But we're in their regular rotation so we at least have one solid place to keep building up our thing. The owner loves us and knows some agency guys too so that may help.

There was one agent there. Wasn't exactly a great night to show off our crowd pulling skills, but as far as the music and stage act go, it couldn't have been much better. We're following up with the guy to see what he has to say. Maybe we're not ready yet, but we're in touch with a bunch of these guys just trying to get info, see what they want, etc.

We also get GREAT audio demos out of this place. Just threw this together from the other night. Guitars are a little hot but...OH WELL!! :D

• Members

Just too bad there was no one there to see it.
:cry:
Stupid vacation season...

Edit:
A sampling of the evening

Man, it's too bad you can barely hear one of the guitarists. I didn't even know it was there until the first break solo in Walk this Way.

• Members

Man, it's too bad you can barely hear one of the guitarists. I didn't even know it was there until the first break solo in Walk this Way.

Yeah that's me. The sound guy there does tend to be a little unpredictable. I remixed it the best I could (just a 2-channel recording), knocked down the vox a little bit, updated the link above--it's a little better now, but like they say "garbage in, garbage out."

Archived