Strange invitation to audition. What the hell??

• Members

I'm an amateur guitarist with original songs on youtube and today I get an email inviting me to audition for a band. I give my phone number to talk to them about it, and they call inviting me to this "big house in the hills" (this is Santiago, Chile by the way) Saturday to try out. So I say: "well ok but first why don't you send me your demos, since you've heard mine?" The answer was strange and evasive, like they were afraid to show off their {censored}. Then they said I sounded like a really friendly guy...stranger still.

So I'm thinking one of the following...

1. They're gay and wanna gang rape me

2. They want to steal my gear

3. They suck really bad and are embarrassed to show their music

Any thoughts?

• Members

I'm guessing a combo of 1 & 2 or they are just starting out and don't have a demo yet. Maybe they just decided to start a band and thought they would pick up an experienced guy to help them get going. Either way, I'd bring a friend or two with if you decide to go.

• Members

+1 on requiring mp3s. i can't think of a more efficient way to know whether or not their style and skills are up to par. any band without the resources/know-how to throw a mic up and record a practice are going to be equally useless and inept the rest of the time. don't waste your time going their way unless they're willing to come YOUR way. unless they're a super-famous chilean act or something, of course!

• Members

+1 on requiring mp3s. i can't think of a more efficient way to know whether or not their style and skills are up to par. any band without the resources/know-how to throw a mic up and record a practice are going to be equally useless and inept the rest of the time.

Let me back up a little. There is a drawback to posting mp3s, and that is that people tend to assume that what they're hearing on your clips represents your entire range of musical expression. The same is true for set lists, which I also ask for. Some people will change their set list a lot as they fill out their roster; others aren't interested in expanding their horizons at all.

. . . . which is why I agree with Actionsquid's suggestion to also require an extensive group interview. I assumed everyone was on the same page as the contact guy who posted the original ad in my current group. Guess what . . . . .

• Members

These dudes sent me two demos in the end and seem on the up and up. The demos aren't bad just kinda slow strange music. But they don't live in a bad neighborhood or anything. They just seem complicated. I've never "auditioned" before, just have teamed up with others to form a band or joined one already in existence. To me "auditioning" is for pros and the only compensation I've ever gotten for playing is free beer basically, so this seems a little upsurd. I might show up but if I don't it's just cause I'm not that interested.

• Members

That's just what I was wondering--do you want to be in a band?

You seem to be satisfied doing what you're doing.

I dunno you might be right but it still would be fun to get into a steady band again that shares the same likes and has a similar skill level as me. That was way easier 10 years ago in college, it just kinda happened. Funny, you kinda got me thinking. Good observation, are you a psychologist or something?

Archived