facebook stuff

J.Paul

• Members

Sure. Might not get to them before tonight, though.

cool. thanks

1) how do I make a default profile picture.Every photo upload I make becomes the profile pic, when I go to "profile photos" and click on "make profile pic" it changes when I upload a new one.

2) how do I label the pics. the only option I can find is to "comment"on myself. REALLY is that the only way to label pics??

how do I embed an html hyperlink in my profile. basic inforrmation ~> about me~> hyperlink ??

Ok never mind. It didn't work a year ago when I first tried it....the server was probably glitching that hour...

it works now.

• Members

ok

it looks like if you are in edit mode you're not given an option to create an album and label

but if you at "home" you can creat an album and label stuff....

This IS the site where all the old people started using it because it was "easier" isn't it?

• Members

You create artist pages ("Fan pages"... I don't know if they still call them that) from within your main account, so you don't have to use a separate email. Personal accounts are more versatile than artist pages, but fan pages are usually more appropriate for a band or artist, unless you want your fans to see all your cat pictures or whatever.

Artist pages can be linked to your ReverbNation page so that your sound clips from RN are available in FB as a tab on the artist page. I don't think there's any other easy way to include media in your page but I could be wrong (haven't changed anything on my pages in awhile).

• Members

OK

So I added a friend,the automated window (pointing AT "FRIENDS") opens up and gives me the option to label this as a :

close friend

aquaintances

family

school, work options

...new list....whatever else ... FWB, potential clients, vacations spots, WHATEVER.

Are these lists and options public or are they viewable only to US in our friends list?

• Members

That's a new feature. I don't know exactly how it works, but it should be visible only to you. Emphasis on "should" since Facebook has had trouble with keeping stuff private in the past.

Interesting, thanks

MORE new features

Yes I am aware of the privacy issues FB has had in the past

So I should expect a conituous learning curve and some life energy expended in maintaining my "easy to use" FB page?

• Members

So I should expect a conituous learning curve and some life energy expended in maintaining my "easy to use" FB page?

I guess so. I've actually been using it a lot less over the last month or two, so it's hard for me to judge. Also, I joined in 2009 and I think it was probably easier to get up to speed then.

Anyway, though, your basic suspicions are correct about what all the buttons mean. If you "like" the comment, it's just the comment that you're liking. You already "like" the person since he's your friend. Basically, since I joined, FB has added this feature where you can "like" virtually anything. Various people are informed of this fact and the datum itself is presumably kept ad inifinitum by FB for data mining purposes.

• Members

So when I use a browser that isn't logged in nothing is viewable (it's only a picture and 2 of my links)

you have to login to view it (great marketing. assholes)

am I missing something? (everything is marked as public)

am I to assume that as artist profile (or fanpage as agitator calls it) WILL be viewable to ANYONE?

are there no instructions for this on the site itself? The "privacy" terms and page on the bottom right is pretty comrehensive, but there is not "how to" or "user manual" for anything else. REALLY ??? I have to trial and error for a week or two before I learn all the ins and outs??? Or I have to take initiative and read a book, hire a PR, Goggle or Youtube a how to link??

Are you kidding me??.......

I guess I'm eating the {censored} from where the grass use to be after all the sheep walked through.

• Members

I have 24 friend requests

is it possible that is what that number in the tab means?

This sucks

How many of these types of things am I gonna have to figure out?

6, 7....100? This is work.....so this is what you people do at work to keep from working?

Wouldn't it just be easier to just keep working?

• Members

I cant tell if you are genuinely angry in your posts - or just slightly venting......but 12 yr olds use facebook all the time.......and seem to have no issue.,....do you really want to be beaten by a 12 yr old? No. No you dont!

So keep at it ;) (previous sentence was entirely sarcastic/tongue in cheek and not meant seriously or to cause any offense).

Now - the "24" number you mentioned is the number of notifications you have. These can be anything from friend requests, comments, messages, comment likes etc etc etc. It's just telling you "24 things have happened" basically.

Your fan page is viewable without logging in (PS depending on security settings - your personal profile is NOT - which is how it SHOULD be IMO).

The rest of the stuff is fairly self explanatory...eg "like" means you are liking whatever is above when you click "like". Friend requests are fairly straight forward - you dont HAVE to put them into specific groups if you dont wish to do so.

Adding a hyperlink in is as easy as just typing the complete link into the text box. If it's in a comment it will also attempt to "preview" the page/image etc for people to get a quick look at it befoer they click it (doesnt work with your "about me" stuff tho).

Labelling images is done after you upload them - it should come up with a list of all the images you uploaded and previews for them. You can label them from there. (NOTE: this is for when you go into the "photos" section on your page and click "upload photos". Not if you are adding a photo to your wall.)

You can "Share" an image, satus update etc etc also. Which basically steals it =- and posts it to your own wall on your behalf. You can also chose to share it to your fan page or on a friends wall.

Hope this helps :)

• Members

I cant tell if you are genuinely angry in your posts - or just slightly venting......but 12 yr olds use facebook all the time.......and seem to have no issue.,....do you really want to be beaten by a 12 yr old? No. No you dont!

So keep at it
;)
(previous sentence was entirely sarcastic/tongue in cheek and not meant seriously or to cause any offense).

Now - the "24" number you mentioned is the number of notifications you have. These can be anything from friend requests, comments, messages, comment likes etc etc etc. It's just telling you "24 things have happened" basically.

Your fan page is viewable without logging in (PS depending on security settings - your personal profile is NOT - which is how it SHOULD be IMO).

The rest of the stuff is fairly self explanatory...eg "like" means you are liking whatever is above when you click "like". Friend requests are fairly straight forward - you dont HAVE to put them into specific groups if you dont wish to do so.

Adding a hyperlink in is as easy as just typing the complete link into the text box. If it's in a comment it will also attempt to "preview" the page/image etc for people to get a quick look at it befoer they click it (doesnt work with your "about me" stuff tho).

Labelling images is done after you upload them - it should come up with a list of all the images you uploaded and previews for them. You can label them from there. (NOTE: this is for when you go into the "photos" section on your page and click "upload photos". Not if you are adding a photo to your wall.)

You can "Share" an image, satus update etc etc also. Which basically steals it =- and posts it to your own wall on your behalf. You can also chose to share it to your fan page or on a friends wall.

Hope this helps
:)

HA

Thanks for chiming in (I'm only slightly annoyed and not genuinely angry).

Yes there are plenty of 12 year olds as well as moron level adults that have (seemingly) mastered FB so I have hope that I will be up to speed by the weekend.

BTW there ARE "instructions" found here https://www.facebook.com/help/?ref=drop which I will get to eventually. FB interactivity is pretty impressive and most everything is pretty intuitive.

My issue is that the spike in FB membership 3-4 years ago was mainly due to Myspace being too sluggish and having too many apps and diversions~ so FB sold itself as the no-frills Myspace that anyone could use (prompting a huge influx of boomers). Now days it's become almost as cluttered as Myspace was then (although FB is still way more responsive, smoother, and immediate).... the skinny girlfriend that got fat when you married her.

.....can't wait to do it all again when Facebook goes out of style and is replaced by by something else :)

....wish someone would invent an "excel" type of template that housed (or clouded) all our social networking media/info and could assimilate and upload it into each and every new site that comes along....(ping doesn't count).

Thanks for the tips

• Moderators

For the record, I totally agree with the OP regarding facebook. Ive been using it for personal and band stuff since it first became really popular, around 2009 I guess, and it seems like it has become less user friendly in a lot of ways. Generally speaking it just harder to manage photos, events, media, and the whole layout. I understand how the aite works in general; Im no fogie, but with increasing frequency I find myself taking much longer than I should to complete some really simple task.

Its like theres this inherent creep towards overcomplexity social networking sites have when they should be focusing on intuitive layouts and ease of use. I dont care THAT MUCH... but I kind of have to use Facebook for band stuff Nd occasionally it is maddening.

Archived