recommend a site to host my audio

J.Paul

• Members

I've been using Music Dealers as a place to host some of my catalog including non J.Paul audio (country , pop, pitch songs). There is an added bonus in that they are one of the (many) licensing companies that have popped up in recent times so if I see a listing that fits I'll submit something. I use MD because :

~they are free

~the amount of files is not restricted

~their player is streaming and you cannot download

They have recently changed their policy so that the general public cannot access my artist profile (or listen to my music). This defeats my purpose and now I have to replace them.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me? I've considered using soundclick but from what I understand you can download the audio as mp3s. I've also considered using reverbnation but the last time I checked (a year or 2 or 3 ago) the amount of free uploads is restricted until it becomes a paysite....anything else out there???

• Members

Why not let people download your songs? I believe that if you're serious about your songs, you wouldn't be using a free site. There are plenty of ways to have your music out there in a professional manner for $5/month or less. If you can't invest $60-100/year to put together a professional package, then why bother?

• Members

Why not let people download your songs? I believe that if you're serious about your songs, you wouldn't be using a free site. There are plenty of ways to have your music out there in a professional manner for $5/month or less. If you can't invest $60-100/year to put together a professional package, then why bother?

Hey thanks for your reply, good post too, I'm in agreement (although you didn't answer my question).There are two answers :

1 - I AM serious about my music which is why I spend several hundred dollars a year on my domain (which also stores ALL audio, video, contracts, stage plots,.....). Also people can (and do) purchase and download my artist tracks from Itunes (and all the others) for the last 10 plus years.

2-I would prefer these other songs not be downloaded because they are demos. I also don't want people to purchase these (demo) tracks because legally and morally I would owe the singers/players a master rate or limited pressing rate as opposed to the demo rate they were paid.

Anyone use Wix?

• Members

OK - Well, I would think your current web host could house all the audio you need - as you sort of indicated. You just need to find a player (Flash or otherwise) to be able to play the tunes without downloading them. I believe there are lots of these for low cost that you can essentially drop into your site. Have you tried something like that? I checked out Wix, and it sounds like a brand new website they will help you build. Do you want to build another website or just have some way to have songs be available to visitors via stream?

• Members

OK - Well, I would think your current web host could house all the audio you need - as you sort of indicated. You just need to find a player (Flash or otherwise) to be able to play the tunes without downloading them. I believe there are lots of these for low cost that you can essentially drop into your site. Have you tried something like that? I checked out Wix, and it sounds like a brand new website they will help you build. Do you want to build another website or just have some way to have songs be available to visitors via stream?

The websmaster doesn't want me to just find a flash player I can essentially just drop into the site. He wants to build a proprietary player for ME, which is fine but times that by 40 or 50 songs w/ alternate versions of male vox, female vox, vox mute track, accapella version, pop mix, rock, mix, country mix..... it's too much. Don't know if he wants to milk me or if there is a valid security html, encryption (or other) reason and I don't care (I can't know everything about everything, there are only so many hours in a day).

So instead I have a link that goes from my site to a licensing / demo / pitch song "home". That link now needs to be replaced with another "home". So yes, I'm looking to build another "site" (such as a Soundcloud which I now realize I called soundclick in my previous post lol) and link to that.

• Members

I dunno, man, I just don't believe that you have to use a third party site to host your music. I guess I don't know what agreement you have set up with your web guy, but I believe that you could find a reasonably priced player (not free) that could be virtually custom made for your needs. I also don't think you're trying to build another site. You're trying to build a page within your site. But I kind of get where you're at - you don't seem like you want to have to dick around with the web stuff - but rather be able to just go to a spot, upload tunes and type in relevant information. In that case, you're probably headed in the right direction. If you went with Wix, you could probably dump your web guy altogether. Your site is adequate, but it ain't all that - so I hope he isn't charging you much. If it were me, I'd probably ditch the web guy, take what's at the existing site, and try to learn how to do what I wanted. But I know you're not me. so good luck.

• Members

Did you try sound cloud? They give you the option to prevent downloading.

Yeah

there are applications (I think is the word) you can use to rip stuff whether it's an option or not.

For soundcloud I was able to rip it AND play it afterwards.

For Bandcamp I was able to rip it but the file wouldn't play (which is fine)

Wix has a file limit

Soundcloud does too but it would take a long time for me exceed it (which is fine for now)

• Members

wow

you were of no help at all

I know, right? I get that all the time from my wife.

But really, I was only suggesting a page like this: http://www.plusrecords.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11:icehouse&catid=2:library&Itemid=9

I could not find a way to rip these files from their site. I'll respectfully bow out now. good luck.

Archived