Tipitinas New Orleans "Treme vs The Wire" Battle of the Bands

• Members

My Brothers,

Went to Tipitinas Uptown New Orleans to the "Treme vs The Wire" battle of the bands. Most of the casts from both shows we're MC's including Wendell Pierce, Steve Zahn, Michael K. Williams, and the guy that plays Chalkie on Boardwalk Empire.

Representing Baltimore and DC area was Lafayette Gilchrist & The New Volcanos, and Anwar Glover & The Backyard Band.

Representing New Orleans was Galactic, and The Stooges Brass Band.

Very interesting to hear the different styles side by side. New Orleans won cause of the packed local crowd. The DC area bands were a little uptight on stage, but we're damn good, BUT, the NOLA bands were so loose and just killed it.

Overall, The Stooges Brass Band stole the show, playing horns, rapping, second line dancing, and playing the best version of the "Treme" theme song I ever heard.

All for charity.....That's how we roll!

• Members

If there's anything to say about the New Orleans music scene, it's that they support their own.

Along with that, though... the New Orleans music scene sucks, because they've taken those characteristic New Orleans bands and styles, and gone crazy with them to the near exclusion of most else. When I lived there, I got so sick of hearing the same old crap on the local music radio station.

New Orleans's music scene is stuck in a rut.

Archived