Gigging With Cheap Gear

BATCAT

• Members

With 12MN mine is cheap/used; An old Kurzweil PC88 (with the aftermarket MX board installed) that I got NEW back in...'96, maybe? Wasn't CHEAP, but its value now is not much. Used to have a Korg CX-3 as my next board, but it has had output problems, so my second gigging board (in spite of Grant's advice a while back, ;) ) is the Yamaha MM6 I found at the World (In)Famous Unclaimed Baggage Center for $200.00. Play through my Roland KC-350 amp. Can't afford to upgrade at this juncture...

(Gear comes with the Leah gig.)

jamieb
+++++

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here you go... Phil X's LTD Viper. You can get them for around $300 on Ebay.

Story of the guitar....

scZWEpSvXgM

DKH0HIZP284

There's a lot more on youtube. He says he's used the guitar on a lot of studio stuff. Of course, he is always pairing it with high end amps.

• Members

I will go cheap on many things but not on my drums orsound gear, I play GMS, Ludwig & Slingerland drums, Zildjian cymbals, DW bass & high hat pedals & GMS cymbal stands. I check every piece after a gig to see if any reapirs or adjustments are needed. I know my stuff is going to work & not fall apart during a gig. I am the same way with my sound gear. It's not the latest & greatest but it will take care of our band & more. I have worked & saved hard to get the equipment I have & with a little upkeap it will run for a long time.

Dave Huffman

• Members

Ah, the GAX75! That's the one with the gray pewter finish and the Detuner, right? I considered buying one years ago, but never did. I liked it because it looked like my Ibanez AX7521 (same finish).

That's the exact one! They had a slightly-higher-quality version that came in black with a bound neck and the same detuner called the AX125. That was a bit nicer guitar, but I love my GAX75...

I
did
buy a cherry-red GAX70 though, but I sold it a couple of years ago. It played nicely and didn't sound too bad, but it had a big dent in the space between the first and second frets. I obviously missed that when I bought it from a Guitar Center back in 2006 (it was used). I always wanted the butterscotch finish one. Found one of those in a pawn shop in town, but they wanted the list price for it ($330!!!!!) and it was beat to {censored}. I was like, "this is a joke, right?" Nope.

It's still on the wall, years later...

Pawn shops' prices ars just a parade of abject stupidity sometimes. I actually wanted a GAX70 first because I liked the finishes on it, but when I saw the detuner I had to have the GAX75. I played in Drop-D a LOT back then and loved how quickly I could switch it. Still works great!

Brian V.

• Members

For live shows, I use cheap ass Pulse drum shells with Remo 2 ply heads on it along with my heavy-duty double-braced Iron Cobra hardware. I also use cheap-ass Pulse cymbals. Nobody can hear the difference. I often backline this kit for other bands to use if we're playing last.

When I'm recording I swap out the cheap cymbals and drum shells for my expensive Ludwig shells loaded wtih single ply Evans heads and my Zildjian cymbals. My Ludwigs and Zildjians thank me every time. :)

• Moderators

For live shows, I use cheap ass Pulse drum shells with Remo 2 ply heads on it along with my heavy-duty double-braced Iron Cobra hardware. I also use cheap-ass Pulse cymbals. Nobody can hear the difference. I often backline this kit for other bands to use if we're playing last.

That's funny, for drum gear I can deal unflinchingly with total budget drums, especially if the heads and tuning are ok, but cymbals, especially the ride and any crashes, are a bit of a sticking point for me. There's just such a drastic difference when you get to the really cheap cymbals, and the loud/bright nature of cymbals amplifies it. And they're one of those things that you can't do anything to make sound better.

• Members

That's the exact one! They had a slightly-higher-quality version that came in black with a bound neck and the same detuner called the AX125. That was a bit nicer guitar, but I love my GAX75...

Y'know, I actually did a comparison between the GAX75 and AX125 at one music store a while back. I preferred the feel of the cheaper guitar. The neck was just like my 7-string. The neck on the AX125 was too stiff or something. That must have been the bound neck you were talking about. Funny that I would like the cheaper guitar neck!

• Members

Y'know, I actually did a comparison between the GAX75 and AX125 at one music store a while back. I preferred the feel of the cheaper guitar. The neck was just like my 7-string. The neck on the AX125 was too stiff or something. That must have been the bound neck you were talking about. Funny that I would like the cheaper guitar neck!

I liked the cheaper one better, too! The only bummer about my GAX75 is that it has a dead spot on the 10th fret of the high E string. But hey, it's a cheap guitar...and it sounds good everywhere else on the neck. ;)

I was actually considering picking up the same model 7-string you have but I never did because it seemed sort of frivolous for my purposes - I mainly gig as a bassist, and I don't write or play much music that would be enhanced by having the 7th string.

Brian V.

• Members

I use two ephiphone les pauls I think they where 450.00 each. A Peavey Windsor Head got on sale for 199.00 and a Ibanez Cab for 149.00. I also have a boss sd 1 for 39.00 and a digitech rp 500 for 299.00 so my live rig is 1586.00! Sad but true.

• Members

I was actually considering picking up the same model 7-string you have but I never did because it seemed sort of frivolous for my purposes - I mainly gig as a bassist, and I don't write or play much music that would be enhanced by having the 7th string.

The AX7521 is definitely an improvement over the cheaper AX7221. I A/B'd them at a store and it was no contest. The pickups and the neck feel were just so much better on the more expensive guitar. It was only about $300 more.

I bought my first 7-string in 2000 because I was listening to music that had a lot of lower tunings (GODFLESH, Prong, Type O Negative), but I also wanted to experiment with having a guitar tuned to Perfect 4ths (B-E-A-D-G-C-F). I figured I could play every note in the C major/A relative minor scale that way and have an open string to use as a drone if I wanted to. It also had the setup I was looking for (like a Les Paul or SG with separate volume and tone knobs for each humbucker), unlike most 7-strings.

I did write a song years ago that was similar to Pantera in style and when I got my 7-string, I transposed the open E riff to the low B and it fit really well. It added a whole new dimension to the song, going from the E to the B, then back again.

Unfortunately, I don't play them as much as I used to anymore, but I'd like to have a metal side project where I would just use the 7-strings exclusively. m/ m/

• Members

The AX7521 is definitely an improvement over the cheaper AX7221. I A/B'd them at a store and it was no contest. The pickups and the neck feel were just so much better on the more expensive guitar. It was only about $300 more.

I bought my first 7-string in 2000 because I was listening to music that had a lot of lower tunings (GODFLESH, Prong, Type O Negative), but I also wanted to experiment with having a guitar tuned to Perfect 4ths (B-E-A-D-G-C-F). I figured I could play every note in the C major/A relative minor scale that way and have an open string to use as a drone if I wanted to. It also had the setup I was looking for (like a Les Paul or SG with separate volume and tone knobs for each humbucker), unlike most 7-strings.

I did write a song years ago that was similar to Pantera in style and when I got my 7-string, I transposed the open E riff to the low B and it fit really well. It added a whole new dimension to the song, going from the E to the B, then back again.

Unfortunately, I don't play them as much as I used to anymore, but I'd like to have a metal side project where I would just use the 7-strings exclusively. m/ m/

We have made heavy heavy use of a pair of Schecter 7-Strings. Oddly, the guitars are the one place that nobody seems overly interested in upgrading.

• Members

We have made heavy heavy use of a pair of Schecter 7-Strings. Oddly, the guitars are the one place that nobody seems overly interested in upgrading.

Schecters are great. I really like the way they look and sound, especially in the masterful hands of someone like Nevermore's Jeff Loomis. I just went with the Ibanez for those particular options I was looking for. Schecters seem to hold their tuning a lot better than the Ibanez guitars, so I may just get a Schecter in the near future. Probably a long-scale version (26.5") since my guitars are somewhat shorter in scale like Gibsons (24.5") and there is a bit of string flap as a result, even with heavier strings.

Archived