Auditioning for new band while still playing in a band....

msmooth

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Does it matter? If the band these guys are currently in only gets together 4-5 times a month (2-3 practices and 1-2 gigs) - why wouldn't any band member looking to do more playing than that consider a second project?

This is an issue of personal choice regarding each band member's desire musical workload - not an issue of the band, commitment and loyalty being played out as some sort of junior high school drama...

Bands and band mates come and go. When a given situation (band) is meeting everybody's needs - bandmates stay. When it's not - bandmates look for a situation that meets their individual wants and needs - be that by adding additional projects to their plate - or by seeking out a completely different band altogether. You can learn to view the inevitable constant change as an opportunity and thrive - or you can find yourself sitting on the curb, pissed at everybody around you for having pursued their own self interests, and pining over a band that no longer exists.

It's just how the world turns - the musical equivalent to the Lion King's "Circle of Life".
My point is that when you go to a group of guys that you have been playing with for a long time and inform them that you will be handing them black out dates to play with another band , things tend to change as far as the way they feel about you. That doesnt mean you should not do it. My point is that it can create tensions. They may well act like its cool ,, but it can stretch the relationship. I did lots of moonlighting when I was workin my way up in the flying gig. It did change the relationship with the guy who was my regular paycheck. I didnt care.. he did know my days were numbered at his operation. oh well ,, up and onward.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS View Post
My point is that when you go to a group of guys that you have been playing with for a long time and inform them that you will be handing them black out dates to play with another band , things tend to change as far as the way they feel about you.
I'll point out the obvious and state that a band that only plays 1-2 gigs a month and rehearses 2-3 times a month - already has band mates "handing them black out dates" for any number of reasons (day gig relating stuff, family obligations, weekend plans, etc.). In general - there are 8 weekend days each month that are available for potential gigs. If it's OK for my bandmates declare that 1-2 days each month are "off the table" because of their family obligations, day gig commitments, plans with girlfriends, etc. - then there's certainly no justification for anybody getting their panties in a wad if I put declare that 1-2 days each month are "off the table" because I'm gigging with somebody else.

If they feel differently about me - {censored} 'em. I've matched their level of commitment in every way.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I'll point out the obvious and state that a band that only plays 1-2 gigs a month and rehearses 2-3 times a month - already has band mates "handing them black out dates" for any number of reasons (day gig relating stuff, family obligations, weekend plans, etc.). In general - there are 8 weekend days each month that are available for potential gigs. If it's OK for my bandmates declare that 1-2 days each month are "off the table" because of their family obligations, day gig commitments, plans with girlfriends, etc. - then there's certainly no justification for anybody getting their panties in a wad if I put declare that 1-2 days each month are "off the table" because I'm gigging with somebody else.

If they feel differently about me - {censored} 'em. I've matched their level of commitment in every way.
Tell us how you really feel lol.

Archived