Peace Sells gig footage

SbrickwallS

• Members

To all my fellow drummers, what's more difficult for you guys to pull off, technique or speed? Both pose a tough challenge but for me, it's speed with the feet.  I've never been able to master blazing death metal speed with my feet like some other amazing drummers I've seen on here. But here is a video of the very last song of our show where I've got an extended double bass section near the ending where the click is set at 158. Red Bull don't fail me now! haha

• Members

I'd post this in the Drum forum, but when it comes to feet, I have more trouble with extended double bass passages, as well.

I've never been into running the 16ths unless it's really called for, so I never built up the chops and stamina. I was far more into Herb Alexander and Mike Portnoy when learning double bass for style than Nick Menza and Lars Ulrich.

For more recent guys, the way Morgan Rose and Ray Luzier address double bass is pretty freaking awesome.

• Members

I have noticed It is harder now than it used to be for me because I don't play anything like this with my current band or my last one. SO I haven't been keeping up with it. Some of the really hard stuff for me came from some doom metal stuff I used to play where the double bass was really fast but the snare & hihat were slow. 32nd note kind of stuff. Got to keep that one steady and it was tricky.

• Members

I totally agree FitchFY, it seems the older I get the more diverse my musical tastes are getting which is leading me into many different projects that I would never have thought about doing when I was younger. Portnoy is one of my drumming hero's. Love his style and tasteful chops. Morgan Rose is definitely a beast as well. The speed or stamina thang isn't something that I love to do, never has been, but I think it's more so the challenge to see if I can learn it, then nail it live at this point.

Archived