Had an unexpectedly good gig last night....

ProToneThinline

• Members

And just wanted to share. I got a call a couple of weeks ago to do a surprise 50th birthday party at a local country club. I didn't know the guy who called - he was referred to my by the owner of a little coffee house I play regularly. Nor did I know his wife (it was her birthday). Now let me say that I usually hate country club gigs. The members/guests are usually pretty "stuffy", if you know what I mean. Plus, it seems like you can never make everyone happy at these types of gigs. I'm sure you've all been there before........

Anyway, I get there and get set up, etc. with actually very little hassle. As usual, the guest of honor and husband don't get there 30 minutes late, so everyone is just kind of standing around have a cocktail. I play a few little instrumental things (at very low volume) just the keep the room from being too "dry".

So husband and wife get there and everybody yells surprise, etc. and I start doing my thing. At first I'm your typical background music, so I think this is going to be another ho-hum CC gig. Then just for fun I start into "Well It's Alright" by Curtiss Mayfield. Everyone in the room stops and turns toward me. By the second verse I had most of the room singing along with me. A couple of songs later I play "My Girl", and people are dancing. I even played "Shining Star" by Earth, Wind & Fire, and people went nuts....... The evening basically continued that like until midnight.

I brought a stack of about 30 business cards, and ended up handing out every one. The GM of the club asked me if I was available for their social night events, and a bunch of other folks asked about house parties, etc. Now the best part. The husband handed me a check about half way through the night. I didn't open the envelope until the gig was over. The check was for $50 more than the price I quoted. Then, while I was tearing down, he came over and handed me another $50 cash.... His wife came over and gave me a huge hug and thanked me for helping make her birthday very special, and commented on how all her guests had such a great time. I have the feeling that I'm going to become a regular at this club.

Sorry to ramble on, but I just felt like sharing.

• Members

Oh, I forgot to add that the husband wanted to come up and sing a song or two. Of course I obliged, and as it turns out, he could really sing. He ended up singing with me for the last 30 minutes of the gig, and everyone really enjoyed that.

He told me in advance that his wife was a big Luther Vandross fan, so I had prepared a couple tunes in advance. One was "Always and Forever". When he first came up to sing, I asked if he wanted to sing that tune for his wife. You can imagine the reaction that on got. I'm sure he got lucky after the party...........

;-)

• Members

..Ya never know.Thats why we play the "cheaper" gigs,..sounds like you were definitely prepared!That coffee house gig led you to the CC gig,and probably a lot of $$$ down the road!Just goes to show..you can never have enough songs.

It was great that you were flexible.As Darwin said.."It is not the strongest of the species that survive,nor the most intelligent,but the one most responsive to change."

---sorry..too much coffee-anyway..Congratulations

• Members

Question for P-Tone:

Your sig says "Pittsburgh" but your website says"Houston"? Thats a helluva drive.

jayare, I'm not really sure what website you're looking at...... Houston is actually a small town south of Pittsburgh, and I grew up there, but I never make any references to it, as I haven't lived there in 30 years..... I live on the North Side of Pittsburgh now.

Here's my website:http://home.comcast.net/~kmccarthy1236/site/?/home/

• Members

ok---I was clicking on "visit homepage' and got the "Toast and Jam" website...It says "HOUSTON"

I just assumed "Texas"

------

That's a really interesting page - too bad it's not mine ;-)

The funny thing about it is I grew up in Houston, PENNSYLVANIA, and I used to play in a horn band called "Jam Nation"....

The world is getting too small..................

Archived