Help me put together my setlist...

Kreatorkind

• Members
I play for retired people, and have been doing so since I was in my 30s. It used to be that when I saw grey hair I'd play standards (Especially Glenn Miller and Artie Shaw).

Years went by and the standards faded away and Elvis era rock filled the floor.

Last weekend we did "Old Time Rock & Roll" followed by "Wooly Bully" and it just seems weird to see granny-type ladies jump up enthusiastically to that song.

My first reaction is "What are these old people doing listening to
my
music." Of course a look in the mirror defines what
my
music is
;)

I got a chuckle out of this. Last summer, we played an outdoor concert with my band. We are a high energy modern blues band, playing stuff far beyond the standard 1-4-5, working in a lot of funk blues, jazzy stuff, Ray Charles, Texas stuff, blues rock, etc. Anyway, up pulls this bus and an entire busload of old folks from an assisted living center get off and start unfolding lawn chairs. And I'm thinking, "Yikes, they're going to hate this." One old guy in particular sat right in front of us and stared at me the whole time, looking like he wanted to kill us.

We took a break after an hour set, and he got out of his chair and came up to me. And I was shocked when he said "Man, I love what you guys are doing. Your band is tight", and he explained that he wasn't clapping because he'd had a mild stroke and had a hard time moving his hands much (and it explained the look on his face). He went on to tell us how he had schlepped gear for the Allman Brothers back in Georgia when they were still a bar band, and knew most of the Southern rock bands of the 70s, including Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker, and so on. He was a wonderful guy, and bought a CD. It just goes to show that you can't judge people by appearances.

• Members

I would go to the venue and see what the demographic is on an average night. I play in many different venues. From College party bars, to tourist attractions, to fine dining, to biker dives, to redneck watering hole, to hipster haunts, to nursing homes, everyplace takes a different group of songs that work well. Some songs work everywhere, but find what they want. Remember to be successful even at playing your originals you must grab their interest. I have been playing for ever, playing for a living for over ten years. To this day when I show up to a gig, and I am loading in I am listening and watching the audience what is playing on the house music. Now if they are listening to hip hop or rap there is not a whole lot that I can do. I do cover some stuff just to throw folks off. Feel the room.

Honestly though at first do stuff you like, be yourself. You will get requests. If I hear the same request 3 times I decide I have to learn it if possible, even if I hate the song. Yes I know some Toby Keith, I just picked up Red Solo Cup, I don't like it but folks have asked for it. You will find songs that work and that you don't have to eat your guts to play. Every once in a while you have to chew through it and please the audience. That is why you are there, well let me re-phrase that. That is why I am there. To please the audience.

Archived