Need marketing advice re: solo and duos...

TroisNoir

• Members

I am a solo performer who has added a second guitarist for more sound and versatility.

For you guys who do solo and duo acts, how do you approach a potential gig?

Do you present yourself as a soloist, and offer to play as a duo if desired? Or do you present yourself as a duo, and offer to play solo if preferred?

I'm thinking most commercial venues don't really care about music, and money is an issue, therefore solo is more marketable. But my act sounds much better as a duo (solos and leads, more interesting music, more energy, etc.) and in the end is probably a "better" act.

BTW: We're talking commercial venues (restuarants, etc.) and private gigs, not concerts or anything.

Which approach do you guys find gets you more gigs?

• Members

I only gig as a duo, since my solo sound isn't full enough for me to feel comfortable. The places I gig pay what they pay, so it doesn't matter to them if I gig solo or as a duo. I make half as much gigging as a duo, but always get invited back. I don't think I would get invited back performing solo.

If you are an amazing guitarist who can play lead and rhthym at the same time (I have seen a few, which blow me away), performing solo will get you more money. If you're decent but not amazing, perform as a duo and split the money. You'll end up making more money in the long run.

• Members

ah youve hit on an age old problem there IMO...

i would guess that a huge % of solo performers would prefer to play in a duo assuming the second guy is good and really adds to the sound.

the possibilities are much more limited with a solo. less soloing and interaction between the guitars, no harmonies (thats a really big one)

i have the same dillemma myself. duo sounds way better and is much more fun. but doesnt pay well at all. solo pays better but is harder work.

and no matter how good the duo gets these places only care about the music up to a certain standard, then after that they dont wanna pay the extra..:(

still, regardless we have just done a video and are gonna go for it and try to charge accordingly...

with a bit of luck im hoping the duos can start paying even 70% of the solo.. if they can do that then i would happily go that route to be honest...

• Members

I don't suggest either approach. You present yourself as a solo or as a duo. Decide before you go. Don't do the "we are a duo but I can do solo if you want" or "I am a solo act but if you want I can add another piece". That screams unprofessional and lack of self confidence to me. Do what you do and sell what you do. You can certainly do both but do not show up and ask the club to decide who you are. I'd have two separate press kits and demos and only market one or the other to the club. Do your homework before presenting yourself.

• Members

If you are an amazing guitarist who can play lead and rhthym at the same time (I have seen a few, which blow me away), performing solo will get you more money.

I have found, as a solo, that being engaging, personable, telling a few stories and playing the songs you play with conviction are generally more profitable than just musicianship. Case in point: on one of the Delbert McClinton Blues Cruises, Monte Montgomery played solo to a 1/3 full ballroom. He is a master player and singer but kind of shy and reserved. Marcia Ball was in another room just playing a piano and singing. She's not a really great singer or exceptional piano player, but she had a big crowd because she engaged the crowd and told stories, singled people out to chat with, and so on.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not opposed to skill, and I'm always working on mine, but personality with limited skill will often do better than exceptional skill and no personality. I actually have to work harder at loosening up than I do at performing the songs. But when I'm loose and personable I make more tips, a lot more.

• Members

Don't get me wrong- I'm not opposed to skill, and I'm always working on mine, but personality with limited skill will often do better than exceptional skill and no personality.

Thankfully this is true. Otherwise, I'd never get a gig! ;) Even still, the skill has to be interesting enough to hold an audience's attention. When I'm playing in a coffee shop and nobody is talking, I know I have the audience. Conversely, if I'm playing and people in the audience are having conversations, I know I haven't grabbed their attention. There's nothing better than knowing everyone in the audience is focused on what I'm doing.

• Members

Don't get me wrong- I'm not opposed to skill, and I'm always working on mine, but personality with limited skill will often do better than exceptional skill and no personality. I actually have to work harder at loosening up than I do at performing the songs. But when I'm loose and personable I make more tips, a lot more.

i totally get what youre saying... and engaging crowds is a major deal for a solo or duo act.,..

but whats that got to do with his problem. hes just asking how do people get around trying to market two different acts..

i get his problem cos i have it myself... on the one hand you have a solo thing for a cheaper price and on the other you have a duo which is musically way better and more enjoyable but pays less.

@ fingerpicker... i really like your solution... get a percussionist and call it a band. like it!!!! although in our case a percussionist and an acoustic bassist would be needed...

• Members

Don't do the "we are a duo but I can do solo if you want" or "I am a solo act but if you want I can add another piece". That screams unprofessional and lack of self confidence to me.

I guess it's how you look at it. A good friend of mine books solo, duo or combo and makes the majority of his income from music. It's what the budget allows and doesn't really have anything to do with confidence. If you can't afford the five piece, we can do duo or even solo depending on the $$$. Some people are content to take the solo because he's THAT good.

• Members

I guess it's how you look at it. A good friend of mine books solo, duo or combo and makes the majority of his income from music. It's what the budget allows and doesn't really have anything to do with confidence. If you can't afford the five piece, we can do duo or even solo depending on the $$$. Some people are content to take the solo because he's THAT good.

What I mean is that you should know what the client wants and market towards his needs. Going in and saying I can be either this or this makes me think the performer does't know what he is either. You act should not be determined by the money, it should be determined by the act. Basically you are asking how much the pay is and then you book whatever fits the pay. Market yourself to the bar. If they generally have solo acts, market the solo act. If they have duo and trios market that. Don't market the duo in a place that does solo stuff and don't market solo stuff where the place does duos & trios. Also, don't walk in and say you can be anything he wants depending on pay. It just seems unprofessional to me.

• Members

Good advice, all...

You guys are right - I should:

a - Get off the fence and pick one or the other, and market that. I can be flexible, but I don't have to tell the venue that up front.

b - Do my homework and research the gig.

BTW: Doing the band thing is not an option. I went solo because of band drama. Also, I haven't found anyone who's willing to do percussion on my music, full time. They always want to blow it up into a band thing, rather than just percussion with an acoustic duo. I understand, but it's not what I'm looking for.

• Members

I am a graphic artist and something I've done lately is make up posters ahead of my first visit to a club or restaurant, with their logo at the top and my act and nights and times below it. Usually their eyes light up, so it's a get the foot in the door type of thing. Of course, it doens't always work, but it shows some effort. It only costs a dollar to have 11"x17" posters printed up at Staples. They are not huge posters but they make an impression. Then if I get the gig, I do a couple more psoters and table top type of stuff.

Archived