Demo recordings to help pick out songs

charlie13

• Members

I have a very basic recording set up using Audacity and an Alesis IO2 interface. I also use an ART tube preamp for vocals. Mic is an MXL 990 (el cheapo) with a pop filter. Anyway, I have found that by making a one take recording of a particular tune I can better decide if it's a go or no go. I put myself in the audience and listen back to it. Am I on pitch? Is the style of song suited for my voice? Is the song in the right key for me? Does it sound like what I was hearing in my head before making the recording. I usually pop 'em in my car CD player and listen to them on the way to work. My car system has this compressor function that really beefs up the sound. Some songs sound half way decent, others, well....I dont need to do. So, that's how I now scan tunes for performance. Obviously, beauty is in the ear of the beer holder...but I also have to feel I'm doing the song justice before I'll go on stage with it.

Charlie

• Members

hi there..

good idea.

i definitely can confirm, from my side at least, that you never know fully if a song is gonna work until you do it live. so if recording it and watching it can help bypass that process then it soudns like a plan..;)

im in the middle of recording some stuff for a youtube promo im doing to try get more gigs, so i might add in a bunch of new ones and see how they go for my own benefit.

i used to do that also to listen back to my singing.. and it worked i think. i sorted alot of stuff out with my voice when i did it.. maybe i still need to do that but i feel i kind of sorted the voice out so what i hear now myself is closer to what others are hearing too...

D

Archived