Fun and Unusual Gig Last Night

Howie22

• Members

My duo played a private party last night. Backyard pool party sort of event. Weather was looking questionable. Raining most of the day, but was supposed to clear up around the time we started. We got there early and got set up under a small covered patio. We were able to set up most of our gear under the covered patio. It was a longer gig than usual. My duo partner also has a start-up DJ business, and mentioned he would bring that setup to play during our breaks. Good stuff.

We played the first set, about an hour, without a hitch. We took a break, and he started spinning some tunes. A few minutes into the break, a bit of rain started. We compacted our gear under the awning and pulled everything in, still working the DJ angle, trying to keep the party going (which was now huddled up under the awning with us.

The host of the party checked the weather and said we'd be good to go in 20-30 minutes. Didn't happen. Started raining harder. The storm cell stalled out right above us and was just dumping rain.

After about an hour of pouring rain, the power goes out. Music stops. So, I grabbed my acoustic and we start doing an "unplugged" set. We did that for a while, had the whole group dancing, singing along, playing along with egg shakers, etc.

The rain never stopped. The power eventually came back on, and we spun tunes on the DJ gear for the remainder of the night.

Fun party. We got paid. One of the hosts said we were like that stringed quartet from the Titanic movie. No matter what happened, we kept the music going. They want to have us back for another party.

Archived