ENGL' 530 sound

• Members

Martin is right--there is ridiculous gain available, and with the two mid controls on the lead channel (low mid, high mid) the tweakability is awesome in the array of sounds that you can get from it.

Now, mine doesn't have the bottom end that my VHT 50CL head did, but I believe that is because I am running through a Mesa 20/20, and I don't believe the "deep mod" has been done to it. I can't imagine you wouldn't have ample bottom with the right power amp--especially if the power amp has some sort of depth or bottom control.

I do want to say one, though. I was playing that VHT, which I loved, and my other guitar player is playing a 5150, and when I played my first rehearsal with the 530, my other guitar player told me afterwards: "Man, I was amazed with the sound as soon as you hit that first chord!"

I think you'll like it!

Mike

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hey man. I have the 530 preamp and I use it with my Mesa 2:50 power amp and Mesa rectifier standard 4x12 cab and the thing has a P-U-N-C-H-Y sound!!! My god, I swear that I almost soiled myself when playing palm muted heavy riffs! :D

The thing twists your stomach! That's how punchy and kicking it is! :)

• Members

It's a great preamp! but it you have to use it with a nice poweramp. I have it with the engl 930/60 wat poweramp and an engl cabinet.

The low and high mid controls alow you to dial in your tone very easily.

You can get a nice rammstein sound out of this amp for sure!!! This amp sounds best with the gain around 12'o clock....

The cleans are OK but not great...

I tried it with a mesa 50/50 wich sounded thin and lifeless... (probably old tubes in the mesa) I also tried it with a marshall el34 50/50. That gives a great sound if your into the marshall sound.... (not my kind of sound) The 930 from engl just blew the marshall and the mesa away.

• Members

i am very interested in this preamp too, and every sample i could listen to , didn't convinced me!

i own a mesa boogie v-twin rack mounted and would like a preamp with more distortion , without buying a mesa recto or vht gp3.

the engl 530 seems to be good , but does somebody could make some samples , with an enormous distortion (only the guitar sound without drum or bass).

thanks for any help

• Members

yeh, I've been looking at the 530 to replace my JMP-1 at some point in the future, but I've only ever heard Metal clips... and i definately won't be playing metal. even then - the only other style of clips that ever come up seem to be blues or jazz - which are great. but not what I'll be buying a preamp for...

any good ole mid-heavy (not scooped! :mad: ) rocky/grungey sorta clips around?

course, i might just end up getting one anyway because it looks so versatile... but it would be nice to hear it first

• Members

Originally posted by sp_spaceboy

yeh, I've been looking at the 530 to replace my JMP-1 at some point in the future, but I've only ever heard Metal clips... and i definately won't be playing metal. even then - the only other style of clips that ever come up seem to be blues or jazz - which are great. but not what I'll be buying a preamp for...

any good ole mid-heavy (not scooped!
:mad:
) rocky/grungey sorta clips around?

course, i might just end up getting one anyway because it looks so versatile... but it would be nice to hear it first

BUMP!

Archived