WTB: Dunlop Rack Wah

• Members

Word of caution. Be careful buying one of the new Dunlop Rack Wahs. I recently ordered one from Musicians Friend and it turned out to be defective. Sent it back and had them ship me another one. Same thing happened to it, so I shipped it back and got a refund. I don't know if they had a bad batch or what but the new ones seem to be junk.

• Members

If you are looking for a used one, it will take a while. It took me a year to find a used one. Dunlop only makes them in batches because the demand is so low. You can order one directly from them but it's cheaper to get one from your dealer. But I will tell you that it's worth the wait and hassle.:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by srommes

Word of caution. Be careful buying one of the new Dunlop Rack Wahs. I recently ordered one from Musicians Friend and it turned out to be defective. Sent it back and had them ship me another one. Same thing happened to it, so I shipped it back and got a refund. I don't know if they had a bad batch or what but the new ones seem to be junk.

The MF site shows that they've been discontinued. :rolleyes: Hmmm. I live close to the MF clearance store (Kansas City). Maybe I can find a cosmetically damaged one there to give for a spin.

• Members

Originally posted by Flat Fifth Fury

If you are looking for a used one, it will take a while. It took me a year to find a used one.

A year!!! :eek: Yikes! Well, if you happen across another one PLEASE drop me a note. It looks like I'll be in the market for a while. :(

• Members

I have one and like it. It's not super quiet but has ALL the crybaby tones, plus EQ, several outputs (wet/dry; dry; wet/buffered), allows for 4 control ports -or- 1 remote port (voltage control - ie: eb volume), no power needed for the floor controller (for lights only), whatever.

I bought mine from MF for $357 shipped and can provide a price quote as a favor to a potential buyer (for a new unit from wherever I mean). I don't know if they are going to be discontinued or what, but they are often not in stock. You can call MF and they'll tell you when they get them in. MF went out of stock once, took about a month until they received more.

More info or availability needed? Contact GC (strangely). I actually walked into GC and told them verbatim:

"Musician's friend offers the rack wah for 399.99 and your prices are usually 10% - 15% lower than their online prices. So that brings us to around $350. Sound like a deal?"

The kid said sure but it would take a couple weeks to get one in. So I asked for a price quote just to keep it handy, faxed it to MF, and got it from them right away. So I screwed the kid out of a $20 commission, oh well.

Anyways, good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by somata

if the rack wah doesn't pan out, you might want to look into a teese rmc3, which is an incredibly customizable wah with true bypass...hand made with top quality components.

Actually, I just sold my Teese RMC3. :) I had an early model (made in 1996) and you're right, it's a fantastic wah. I want to keep the signal in the rack, thus the need for a rack mountable wah system.

• Members

There is a constant rumour that Dunlop has discontinued their rack wah. I have called them about it and they said that they have no plans to discontinue it. They don't sell a lot of them but they are the only manufacturer of these things so it's a slow but steady seller. They make them in small batches so there is often a wait for the next batch. Any retailer can get them but the waiting period may be longer than many retailer want to wait.

• Members

Originally posted by Flat Fifth Fury

There is a constant rumour that Dunlop has discontinued their rack wah. I have called them about it and they said that they have no plans to discontinue it. They don't sell a lot of them but they are the only manufacturer of these things so it's a slow but steady seller. They make them in small batches so there is often a wait for the next batch. Any retailer can get them but the waiting period may be longer than many retailer want to wait.

I've contacted the MF special orders department and we'll see what comes of that. I'll also make some phone calls to my local shops and see what they can do for me.

Does anyone know of a reputable internet store that sells Dunlop rack wahs?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Lockjaw

I was thinking of buying a wah, maybe a rack one. Do you think dunlop makes the best ones? If not who does?

To my knowledge, Dunlop made the only ones. Since they don't make them any longer you'll have to look used.

• Members

yeh, i really want a wah. eventually. But appart from the actual added options on the wah itself (which, by the way, wouldn't you find on a floor wah (or whatever you're supposed to call it)) what are the advantages of the fact that it's a "rack wah"

"I want to keep the signal in the rack, thus the need for a rack mountable wah system."

why do you (does he) want to do this especially?

oh, and what kinda price am I looking at for one of these? And a Teese RMC3?

• Members

List price on the rack wah was $350ish, but i guess it's been discontinued. The RMC3 runs about $280. If you have your entire signal going through a rack, and have to run a cable to and from your pedalboard just for your wah, it could be both cumbersome and tone degrading. On the other hand, if you have more of an amp, fx unit type setup, this could be of lesser importance to you.

• Members

Originally posted by Amory_tarr

EMB Audio also made some, but those are very few and far between if not already gone by now. Last i heard they weren't accepting orders for them.

They've been out of business for awhile and I hear that the owner now lives in France. I've tried contacting him to see if he has any extra stuff, but haven't had any luck yet :(

Archived