ADA problem (mp-1 that is)-mod?

ole'fart

• Members

Originally posted by ole'fart

lookin for a good site .i just bought an mp-1 and it has a minor problem ......and i figured OH WHAT THE HELL! might as well mod it ?.......thoughts ?.....oh and its not my primary pre-amp ,just a project

What kind of problem? Can't help if we don't what's going on...

TW

• Members

the output control on the front is dirty (big time i guess) it cuts in and out , and i'v noticed the solid state voicing is nowhere near as loud as the tube voicings ......is that a problem or the way it just is.....another note where's is the sustain ?.....my jmp-1 and of course my triaxes sustain big time ......new tubes fix that you think?....also its powered with a vht 252 (no problem w that ).....thoughts

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

the output control on the front is dirty (big time i guess) it cuts in and out

You may have a dirty/bad Input Level Pot. Go to Radio Shack and get some electrical contact cleaner and see if that helps. If it doesn't, you can get replacements at ADA Depot. I may have a few spares laying around. I think I could send one to you, if you need one. Lemme know....

and i'v noticed the solid state voicing is nowhere near as loud as the tube voicings ......is that a problem or the way it just is.....

You may have some old, dried out capacitors that need to be changed. Not sure if that's the problem or not. There's a Noise Mod that replaces alot of the caps that are susceptible to this. The mod replaces these parts with much higher quality components. It can't hurt anything to do this and if solves your other problem, then BONUS. :D You can get the instructions for the Noise Mod (and others) here. The docs include all of the instructions, as well as a list of the parts you'd need to buy (Less than $10).

another note where's is the sustain ?.....my jmp-1 and of course my triaxes sustain big time ......new tubes fix that you think?....also its powered with a vht 252 (no problem w that ).....thoughts

Hmmm. I think you could be right about the tubes. I'd try swapping them out with some different one and if you still have the same problem, then you'll know it's not the tubes. But this problem could also be related to the two things you mentioned above; if the input pot is malfunctioning, then the signal from your guitar may not be getting through. Or if you've got a bad cap somewhere, that could also be killing it.

If you decide that you'd like to get your MP-1 working but you aren't comfortable with a soldering iron, I'd be willing to take a look at it for you. I've done these mods to all three of my MP-1's, and I thought they were pretty easy to do. Again, let me know. If you do try it yourself, let me know how it goes. I'd love to know if I've helped or not.

• Members

yes youve been a great help......i am considering your options .....i play with a sodering iron quite a bit .....so that is no problem......i am interested in the low noise mod ......but would really like to turn it into a stevie ray vaughn machine .....possible you think?

• Members

yes youve been a great help......i am considering your options .....i play with a sodering iron quite a bit .....so that is no problem......i am interested in the low noise mod ......but would really like to turn it into a stevie ray vaughn machine .....possible you think?

I'd do the Noise Mod, and The Stock Gain Mod. Those are both on the link I posted above. By SRV, I'm assuming a bluesy overdriven distortion. I'd do the stock gain mod and then use the clean tube voicing. It might be kinda fun. The Clean tube voice will break up pretty well, for that kinda tone, IMO.

Archived