I am in cable hell.

Elric

• Members

Dudes: It seems like even though I have, by conservative estimates, ten thousand cables, whenever I get a new piece of gear, I do not actually have the cables I need.

Example 1: My newest pair of acquisitions has me wanting very short (like 12 inch) XLR Male to XLR Female cables but no one seems to make these. Everything with an XLR plug on it is about ten feet long because everyone assumes you're plugging a mic into it. Any sources for inexpensive, very short, XLR patch cords (like

Example 2: I've got one piece of gear with an RCA S/PDIF out. My second piece of gear has digital inputs. Sweet. No... not really, I just found out it has an *Optical* S/PDIF input and AES (XLR jack again) Digital input but no RCA style digital input. F*ck! :mad: Anyone hear of an adaptor for converting the various digital flavors. I assume the optical to RCA is just out of the question without some significant expense... how about and S/PDIF to AES connect?

Sometimes I seriously think I've spent more on cables than hardware for my rack. :mad:

• Members

for all specialty audio cables, i strongly suggest you do one of two things:

1. call/email tony at evidence audio (www.evidenceaudio.com) and tell him what you need. he'll make it up for you quick-like and the quality is outstanding.

2. call/email tony and order some bulk cable. buy some neutrik plugs on ebay (cheapest place i've found) and build your own. this is what i do.

for optical/digital/etc., you might mention this to tony and see what he thinks. i'm pretty sure he doesn't do this type of work, but he may have some suggestions.

-jim

Archived