Shock mount racks - necessary?

• Members

Just a question here -

I have a rack setup that I am just finishing off. I have used a rack in the past, and never had any problems. However, this particular rack has a few expensive items this time (Triaxis, etc) that I don't want to bang around too much.

I am quite careful with my gear. I take good care of it, and am cautious when loading. I know that accidents can and do happen, but is a shock mount rack really necessary? I compare the price to a regular rack of the same size, and can't quite justify it.

Also, what about those Gator roller racks? Seems handy, but then aren't you subjecting your equipment to all the bumps of the surface that you are rolling it on?

I currently have a 6 space SKB rack right now, but need an 8 for my new configuration, which is why I am considering these rack options. Am I just being overly paranoid here...? What would you guys do?

• Members

Originally posted by 62Reissue

I am quite careful with my gear. I take good care of it, and am cautious when loading. I know that accidents can and do happen, but is a shock mount rack really necessary? I compare the price to a regular rack of the same size, and can't quite justify it.

If you're the only one handling your gear, I see no problem with a non-shockmount rack. I don't have a shockmount, but I'm typically the only person moving it. If others were hauling it around, I'd probably go with one, just in case. A $300 shockmount rack is a lot cheaper than a $1200 Triaxis when the rack gets dropped a foot or two, no?

No shockmount rack is going to protect against a really high fall, but hopefully no one is dumb enough to do that anyway.

Originally posted by 62Reissue

Also, what about those Gator roller racks? Seems handy, but then aren't you subjecting your equipment to all the bumps of the surface that you are rolling it on?

The rolling racks do indeed give everything quite the ride. I never understood those things. I could see if you are just toting around a wireless and a tuner or something, but anything valuable being bounced up and down on the ground like that... can't be good! If you've got wheels on the rack it's getting basically the same treatment, but everything is sitting properly, not at some weird angle that you're pulling it. And the wheels are a bit bigger and sturdier, too. Also, most racks with wheels are shockmount anyway.

I'd steer away from those for sure.

Archived