Custom power suppies, please help me clean up rack

• Members

Man my rack is infested with walwarts, and I do get some slight noise from them in my audio, seems no matter what I do. How can I get rid of them, is there someone who makes custom power supplies?

3 walwarts trying to get rid of, all 3 are 9V, the power requirements are as follows:

1100 mA (patchmate)

150 mA (bbe)

100 mA (Sound Sculpture)

I've seen the pedal power from Voodoo labs but they don't look appropriate. I would need over 1.5 Amps just to be safe and most units don't do that. Just wondering what you guys might do.

Thanks

• Members

I used to have a Juice Goose unit which powered my GCX no prob. It was a single rack space unit, heavy as hell due to the transformer (I beleive torroidal) and also had outlets ala a pwoer conditioner. Really sweet unit but I didn;t really use it to it's fullest. I'm not sure what could handle the 1.1 amps your Patchmate needs. I do know that as long as whatever units you are powering aren;t more than the power supply's amp output you will be fine or at least how it's been told to me by numerous tech's.

Rai //

www.DatsMusic.com

• Members

There is the juice goose. THere is also the old rocktron power station which is quite good. and now I have a Sylsonic Power station on order.YOu can order the sylsonic power station with any combination of outputs as long as you don't mind paying the cost of it.

Sylsonic products are made by one person by hand in France.You cna find Ithaqua on the board here sometimes and he is also on the huge racks forum .

• Members

I really appreciate the replies, very much thank you. Things have changed as I don't need all of the power now because I'm drop kickin' my patchmate and getting the Sound Sculpture Switchblade 8b. Jacks are all messed up on my patchmate, hard to find someone who will work on it. Really messed up my sound because of the bad jacks/connections. I hope I'll like the Switchblade better than the Patchmate(when it worked right)(on sound quality). I sure will miss those buttons on the front though, that was nice.

Oh well, I do appreciate the replies.

Cya

• Members

Originally posted by WhoCares

I really appreciate the replies, very much thank you. Things have changed as I don't need all of the power now because I'm drop kickin' my patchmate and getting the Sound Sculpture Switchblade 8b. Jacks are all messed up on my patchmate, hard to find someone who will work on it. Really messed up my sound because of the bad jacks/connections. I hope I'll like the Switchblade better than the Patchmate(when it worked right)(on sound quality). I sure will miss those buttons on the front though, that was nice.

Oh well, I do appreciate the replies.

Cya

Umm in a word Hell yes you will like your Switchblade. Switching will take a whole new meaning for you. I love my 8b and it's perfect for my rack. Good Luck man and keep us posted...

Rai //

www.DatsMusic.com

• Members

Thanks. The only thing I'm concerned about on the Switchblade is the switchblade's max output is around +4 to +7 unbalanced. Is this gonna be enough to drive my 2:90? Probably sounds silly. I usually did the series thing in my rack and used the FX processor output level knob to set the volume to the power amp.

Thanks a bunch, hope it's adequate. Can you recommend me a dealer, trying to shop around for the best price(not used lol). I'm hoping that getting it from the dealer would be a tiny bit cheaper than direct, but I don't know.

Cya

• Members

I'm nto sure if it'd be cheaper or not. Best thing to do would be to check SOund Scuplture's site or call Ken himself at SoundSculpture. As far as your config - I haven't had any issues w output. I run a VHT UL w EQ and for a long time I only ran my effects thru the Switchblade. Problem was I wasn't gettting the full benefits out of the SB but my fear was I wouldn't get as true a tone as if I plugged straight in the head. One day I did an a/b test and bam - the SB is so transparent and now I can run FX in front, behind, simultaneous to the preamp. I've neve had a problem w output so I'm not quite sure how your signal normally goes. If you don't switch preamps in your rack - just keep your signal like I do. Thank you for all the emails babe..and the only thing i know to

say...and i hope it will be enough..is that i love you.

And someday..we will be together..i can't promise it, but i can feel

it. Gtr->SB->Preamp-> Power amp. Unless I'm misunderstanding I think that'd be fine and again never any problems w output. Good Luck man!

Rai //

www.DatsMusic.com

• Members

I bought mine used and it was some yrs ago (at least 3) I can't even remember what I paid for it. The GCX was pwoered by the Juice Goose. In the back of the Juice Goose are what look like RJ-47 Jacks (Phone jacks) and on the other end is the appropriate connection for each device. You can order the cables custom from Juice Goose although the guy I bought mine off of provided them so I was all set. Bets bet would be to contact Juice Goose direct. Good Luck -

Rai //

www.DatsMusic.com

• Members

Thanks. The only thing I'm concerned about on the Switchblade is the switchblade's max output is around +4 to +7 unbalanced. Is this gonna be enough to drive my 2:90? Probably sounds silly. I usually did the series thing in my rack and used the FX processor output level knob to set the volume to the power amp.

Thanks a bunch, hope it's adequate. Can you recommend me a dealer, trying to shop around for the best price(not used lol). I'm hoping that getting it from the dealer would be a tiny bit cheaper than direct, but I don't know.

Cya

Washington Music Center in Wheaton, Maryland is the dealer you want. Ask for Brian in guitars as he`s the guy you want to talk with there. He`s knows his gear very well. Tell him Tom sent you. He`s a nice guy and can get you all set.

Tom

• Members

Originally posted by tonedoctor1

Washington Music Center in Wheaton, Maryland is the dealer you want. Ask for Brian in guitars as he`s the guy you want to talk with there. He`s knows his gear very well. Tell him Tom sent you. He`s a nice guy and can get you all set.

Tom

Wow, thanks so much, really.:) I hope he knows who I'm talkin' about lol. I really appreciate it. I might get the Eclipse and the Switchblade at the same place/time if they carry eventide too and would match a price I got from another dealer on the eventide.

Also appreciate the many suggestions from other people.

Rai:

I won't be using it with pedals, just for preamps and processors to run into my 2:90. On a quest for a few pedals but not many(sustainiac model c which you wouldn't use like that, ada flanger). Never been as much of a pedal fan as a good rack unit. I hope the switchblade is good for my application.

Thanks again for everyone who applied, you really have helped.

Thanks again Tom.

Sincerely,

John

• Members

Wow, thanks so much, really.
:)
I hope he knows who I'm talkin' about lol. I really appreciate it. I might get the Eclipse and the Switchblade at the same place/time if they carry eventide too and would match a price I got from another dealer on the eventide.

Also appreciate the many suggestions from other people.

Rai:

I won't be using it with pedals, just for preamps and processors to run into my 2:90. On a quest for a few pedals but not many(sustainiac model c which you wouldn't use like that, ada flanger). Never been as much of a pedal fan as a good rack unit. I hope the switchblade is good for my application.

Thanks again for everyone who applied, you really have helped.

Thanks again Tom.

Sincerely,

John

John,

No problem at all. You also won`t have any problems with levels with the switchblade. There is nothing better for your application. It really excels at handling rack processors, preamps, and any line level equipment. One cool thing is the 8b and the GL both are balanced TRS connections so with balanced processors you can make full use of this advantage(ie:more headroom, better signal to noise ratios). In my system I have a TC m2000, an eventide H3000, 2 TC Dtwo`s, all connected balanced to and from my switchblade and then 2 TC chorus unit connected as well. They all sound really great, very clean and quiet. Believe me you`ll love it. And the routing flexibility is just simply ridiculous. You`ll love having all those options available to you from preset to preset.

And yes they are an eventide dealer as well. Gene Ingram in pro sound is who you want to talk with about the eclipse. They have them in stock as well and they do sound good. I was just there last saturday listening to the eclipse.

I will probably be there doing a clinic on the soundsculpture products next month.

Again ask for Brian for guitars and Gene for pro sound. Both are really nice guys and I doubt you`ll beat their prices anywhere. They really do big time volume are just plain one of the biggest music stores in the world and award winning no less.

chuck levin`s washington music center ph 1- (301) 946-8808

Tom

• Members

what in the hell happened here: "If you don't switch preamps in your rack - just keep your signal like I do. Thank you for all the emails babe..and the only thing i know to say...and i hope it will be enough..is that i love you.

it. Gtr->SB->Preamp-> Power amp. Unless I'm misunderstanding I think that'd be fine and again never any problems w output."

looks like rai was talking racks and then a relationship thought forced itself into his head and then a few seconds later it was gone and all was back to normal.

hmmm...

switchblade rules. your life will never be the same. just you wait.

-jim

• Members

Originally posted by jimfowler

what in the hell happened here: "If you don't switch preamps in your rack - just keep your signal like I do. Thank you for all the emails babe..and the only thing i know to say...and i hope it will be enough..is that i love you.

it. Gtr->SB->Preamp-> Power amp. Unless I'm misunderstanding I think that'd be fine and again never any problems w output."

looks like rai was talking racks and then a relationship thought forced itself into his head and then a few seconds later it was gone and all was back to normal.

hmmm...

-jim

LOL, Jim

I totally missed that. Damn that copy and paste.

Hey Rai, you might want to be careful there. Juggling a few different girls could prove dangerous if you`re making mistakes like that in the emails you`re sending to them. LOL :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by jimfowler

hmmm...

-jim

Naww dude - I was just demonstrating the SB's amazing ability to switch up conversations smoothly...:D Talk about embarassing. How the F did that end up there? Oops my aplogies....lol and no - no multiple women...I'm single...heh doh! Thanks for calling me out Jim hahaha

Rai //

www.DatsMusic.com

• Members

LOL good save Rai Hehe, thanks again for your comments. Yeah I saw that, didn't know what to think lol.

Man seriously cool of you Tom for all of your help, thank you. Holy crap what a rig lol!!! I'm gonna give em' a call and talk to them, have a possible whopper of a sale for them, I'm so excited lol. Sorry it took me so long to reply, really appreciate the help.

Ken did say the balanced version was the way to go, I'm seeing more about what he was talkin' about now, thanks for further clarifying.

I had the pleasure of doing business with Sound Sculpture on their ABcadabra which Ken was saying would be a cool thing to have with the Switchblade, adds a true bypass as he put it. I've been using it as a midi a/b/both for my two preamps. I can tell you

the abcadabra is a very cool lil' unit. Ken really helped me out recently on the ABcadabra and did a good fix for me, that partly pretty much sold me on thier units right then and there. Totally professional, and so willing to talk about stuff and help. Guy remembered my name even lol, I was blown away.

Thanks Jim for your comments as well. Very appreciated. Just got my Voodoo modded mp-1 back here not too long ago and I'm really lovin' it. Can't believe how awesome it sounds.

Thanks again for your help, lucky to have you guys here on HCMR. When everything's put together I'll post some pics/sounds.

Sincerely,

John

Archived